Uh Oh? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Uh Oh?

Was going 50 down this snowy road area on the military base here.. (yea... the speed limit was 30mph... 15mph when passing troops) anyways.. the snow sucked me in and jerked me into a ditch.. (thought I was going to roll for a moment) while I was in the middle of going off-road my battery light came on, power steering went out, and I THINK the engine died, I say I think the engine died because I quickly restarted to get the power steering up and running again.. and had the radio, cb and heater on.. so couldn't hear anything. Had to try n start it 2-3 times (started right up when I gave it some gas) until it finally started. I got out... I love these 31's!!!! Man.. I was so lucky no one came by.. that would have been bad.. I had an excuse though of someone crazy driver, going down the middle of the road speeding so I had to swerve... lmao.. Anyways.. can someone explain the battery light and power steering? I drove away, no check engine, or any other lights on. Steering is just fine, drives just like normal. Oh man... I've still got this rush goin on.. aahh..
I don't know if something happened to the smaller radiator thing behind the main one, there's no leaks anywhere. Do you guys think I'm okay?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The battery light and power steering would have happened when the engine died.

Why did it die?... =(

Backwards in drive, no.
Friend just came inside saying my engine was smoking, I just popped the hood, checked for leaks.. Nothing.. I think it's just snow melting from my engine and the cold weather. (a lot of snow got thrown up into the engine bay)
The auto start wouldn't start it though, so I went and just started it, it made a weird squeak noise right before starting, shut it off, started it again. Same noise, revved it, at 4k around the first rev, I heard a squeak, let it down to idle for a moment, revved it again, no squeak, revved it a few more times a little higher. No noises, and the noise on start up is gone. My guess, snow/water/ice buildup, but now it's gone? I don't know, everything seems in order now.

Right after that last post, I just went outside and tried the autostart again. It worked.

Explorers get scared too! The heart stopped... Man, you almost ate it there. "Still wanna race?" Hmmm... I'll bet you had to clean the seats, ha!

What do you guys think is going on with this?

Explorers get scared too! The heart stopped... Man, you almost ate it there. "Still wanna race?" Hmmm... I'll bet you had to clean the seats, ha!

Lmao.. and btw.. Yes.. I still wanna race. =)
Man, that was just crazy..
I love this truck! I don't regret getting these 31's (BFG T/A KO) one bit. Glad I took off the lower valance too, that would have been history.

Anyone?

No idea..

=\ Hm.. I think its just snow/water/ice getting in places it shouldn't have been, but I've probably got it all cleared out from driving/revving.
Still doesn't explain why the engine died though.

Anyone have any ideas?

The squeak was your belt. Thats nothing to worry about.

The auto start prob got wet.

The shutting off of the engine with the batt light could have been something that has happened to me. When i hit water at a certing speek(Faster than normat) it will throw the water in the engine bay and hit the alt. Then the eng dies. Give it a few and start it up and it has always been fine. I cant tell you why but i think it just kills the charge and the computer freaks out and shuts off for a second.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I just hope it'll startup today. It's -40 outside....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright.. same thing as above.. except HUGE puddle I went flying through.

Let it sit for a moment, fired her up.. let the engine run for a little bit.. few squeaks here n there... revved it a little bit.. went driving... [heh, I failed to mention the smoke from the hood =P] But that was just water on a warm engine at 30 degrees out.. not too worried about that.. intake is pretty dry kinda... everything else got pretty soaked... The thing that's bothering me is.. going down the highway.. the vehicle jerked for a moment..

Any explanation for that?
[Power was stable at the time, and throughout the drive.]

And of course, like before.. the autostart is being moody and not wanting to work.. but the truck fires up fine.

Back