UHaul and the Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

UHaul and the Ford Explorer

OK, so U-Haul does not rent trailers to people using an Explorer as a towing vehicle. However, I have a need for a trailer from time to time and am looking for a company that will rent a small trailer for my use. I have tried Ryder and Budget....seems they don't have this information available on their websites. I have seen these trailers on the road...where online can I get information on renting from them. I need small (5x10 - 6x12) traliers for my uses.

Can anyone help me??

:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pick up the phone and call.

dead-horse.gif

OK, so U-Haul does not rent trailers to people using an Explorer as a towing vehicle.

Not exactly. U-haul does not rent trailers to people who pick up trailers with an 2011 or earlier Explorer or Sport Trac.

They do rent to people who pick up with a Navajo or Mountaineer.

Last I checked, they don't actually go out and inspect the vehicle model or model year either, unless maybe you're towing a big trailer and they want to help you hook it up for safety reasons and they know one Explorer from another.

That said, it's probably better not to give them the business anyway.

Also, it can sometimes be about the same cost or less to just rent the smallest moving van rather than a trailer, if you're just running around town and returning it back to the same location.

You might also consider just outright buying a small trailer if you would be renting a few times a year. They can often be found for $100 or so, sometimes barely used, though you might need to replace the tires due to age.

Just tell them that it is either an Escape or Expedition. Worked every time for me when I needed a trailer to go to a track day. They are clueless and they probably dont care (the employees).

That said, it's probably better not to give them the business anyway.

Exactly.

Don't lie to the employees about what you drive. If their corporate policy is too dumb to know what really caused the blowouts back in the late 90's, then that's a company that shouldn't deserve to get your money.

There are other places that rent trailers. There's probably rental place run by some local guy- give him your business.

Some trailer dealers (resellers) will rent trailers.

I tried renting a tow dolly for my '05 Sport Trac. They, Uhaul, entered the vin in the computer and informed me they wouldn't rent to me. There are two other places I can get one from. They are kind of out of the way, but I can get what I need.

Borrow someone else's truck to pick up the trailer.

Use your Explorer to do the tow and return the trailer. I've done that a few times and they've never questioned me.

I've now purchased a Mountaineer so I don't have to worry anymore.

I saw a movie recently where they had a Gen 2 Explorer towing a U-Haul trailer in several scenes. My wife and I laughed at it and wondered if someone on the crew was trying to make a statement.

Dan

ive run into the same thing , yesterday. u haul wont rent to me , 07 explorer here eddie baur 4.0

I have a friend who works for U-Haul, in their road service Department, if the vehicle towing the trailer is not the one you told them would be towing it and anything happens, blown tire, etc you will be liable for all the costs. U-Haul and Ford got into a pissing match back when the Roll Overs were happening and that is when the company policy comes from.

I was pissed off when I found out on UHAUL's web site that they won't rent any trailers if it will be pulled with an Explorer. We are taking a vacation down to N. Carolina and we were going to trialer our motorcycles down. I called Ford and talked to them about it because we pull a pop-up camper with our Explorer and my wife was concerned that it was not safe to do so. Ford assured me that it is completely safe and that the UHAUL issue does indeed trace its origins to the Explorer/Firestone roll over issue.

Vote with your wallet: find another rental place that wants your business. Uhaul isn't the only rental place around anymore.

Even if you don't own an Explorer, go somewhere else.

I ran into the same issue about three weeks ago with my 3rd gen explorer. I used the wife's Enclave. For a "luxury" Crossover that thing pulls like a beast, I still think Fords pull better though. You can definitely find a company that will rent to you though, Just may take some legwork.

The V6 powertrain in the Enclave/Acadia/Traverse crossovers should be superior to the V6 powertrain in the 3rd/4th gen Explorers. V8 Explorer? Different story, different animal.

Last year I had a semiliar experiene with a UHaul dealer and figured what the heck can't hurt to go to the top. So I telephoned the UHaul world headquarters and talked with the general mgr. I told him my concerns and my opinions of past crashed involving the explorer and was told by him that if I had any more problems to call him from the rental office and he would intervene and make it possible for me to have a box trailer to tow behind my 2000 Explorer Caruck (part car, part truck). I tried it and damned if he didn't come thru. You might have the same experience.

The V6 powertrain in the Enclave/Acadia/Traverse crossovers should be superior to the V6 powertrain in the 3rd/4th gen Explorers. V8 Explorer? Different story, different animal.

I apologize for not being specific. Fords on the whole I feel pull better than GM. The Enclave pulls really well. I was pleasantly surprised. It is a breeze towing the watercraft to the lakehouse 4 hours each way. Have not pulled anything with the Ex for more than a few miles. The V8 Ex I had pulled beautifully.

Yep, point taken. I actually considered a (Saturn) Outlook or (Chevy) Traverse, but they were just too new and too expensive, even in the used market at the time. Even 10 years of ownership, I don't think the gas savings (vs. the V8 Explorer) would have made up the difference in cost. But I really like the look of these crossovers (5th gen Explorer included). If you can stay under their limits, I really think they are the best of both worlds.

If my 4th gen every gets totaled, I guess I'll have to find a 2010, or maybe a Durango crossover with the Hemi.

A little off topic but we looked at a year old used Acadia when we bought the Enclave. I liked the Acadia and she liked the Enclave, so end of story. My wife loves it.The Enclaves and Acadia are pricey with some of the stickers being near $50,000 for a new one, I think we will stay with certified pre-owned for now. She is so happy with it she is set on replacing it with a newer one when the times comes. I will stick with my Ex. AND U-Haul will rent trailers when I tow with the Enclave (back on topic).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

U Haul in Hoover, Al would not rent me a tow dolly to pull behind my '99 Ranger !?! Yet, U Haul in Ft Worth did rent me a 2 axle trailer using the same vehicle. Maybe it is a local U Haul problem rather than corporate wide ??

Back