Towing for dummies and alternatives to Uhaul trailers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing for dummies and alternatives to Uhaul trailers?

Hi everyone! Just bought a 2011 Explorer XLT 4WD with the tow package.

We're moving from Houston to Boston and want to use a small 4x8 or 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer to help (we're military so we have professional movers pack up most everything, but we are carrying our own firearms, paperwork, valuables).

Apparently Uhaul doesn't rent to you if you have an Explorer, so they're out.

Here's what I need to know

1) Anyone able to list alternatives to rent a trailer I would need? It really doesn't need to be anything big, but I need to be able to have it enclosed and the ability to lock it. I checked Craigslist and a lot of trailers are going for 1200+ which is just more than I'm able to spend at the moment.

2) What do I need to buy? Explain this to me as a complete newbie because this is the first time I'll be towing anything! I know I need a trailer ball, and probably some kind of wiring, but other than that, I'm completely lost.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Uhaul has lifted the ban on the 2011 and newer explorers so you should be OK.

See my recent post with Ford Towing Guides in the Towing section (from March 13th). For some reason the Moderator(s) don't see the value in making that a Sticky. After you read thru the 2011 Towing Guide, watching for everything related to your Explorer, let us know what you still need to know.

See my recent post with Ford Towing Guides in the Towing section (from March 13th). For some reason the Moderator(s) don't see the value in making that a Sticky. After you read thru the 2011 Towing Guide, watching for everything related to your Explorer, let us know what you still need to know.

Thank you for the reply. I checked out the website, but the .pdf didn't really tell me much more than I already knew. My Explorer came with the tow package on it, so the hitch is already there.

However, it pointed me to fordaccessories.com and it lists a few different trailer balls and ball mounts.

http://accessories.ford.com/vehicles/explorer/2011/exterior/trailer-towing.html

How do i know which one I'm going to need?

Well, I just looked at the 2011 Guide, and it seems that it contains many items you likely didn't already know:
1. You asked about wiring, but it confirms you already have that from the factory.
2. It confirms you have 5000 lbs MAX tow rating
3. It confirms that you don't need a WDH if TW stays under 500 lbs.
4. It recommends that you use trailer brakes if the loaded trailer weighs more than 1000lbs.

As far as the ball and ball-mount (drawbar), it's impossible for us to tell you what you need. That is entirely dependant on the trailer. The coupler and/or rental site will tell you the ball-size, and the height of the coupler will determine how much drop or rise you need.

See if you can find something official from Uhaul (website statement?) about it being OK to rent to 2011 Explorers. Or find another rental. They can tell you the size of ball, and height of coupler. You then just do some math to determine which drawbar you need to have the ball at the correct height.

Back