umm i have a broplorer? xbroncker? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

umm i have a broplorer? xbroncker?

Hello all!

my name is John, i am here because theres a wealth of information to learn about the gt40p motors here. from what ive learned stalking the threads, theres a bunch of you guys running turbos, which is awesome. Hairdryers FTW:D

that, and i had a black 94 4.0 5 speed. still miss that thing.

anyway...last summer i installed a 80k explorer gt40p motor in my '89 xlt...fullsize bronco...a sorta labor of love.
i hydrolocked the stock motor so badly that the rod tore through the oil pan, smacking the starter and cracking the trans bellhousing...anyway

the next day i was at the local junkyard shopping for a stock mustang 5.0, standing in a sea of motors,when i saw the odd 5.0l with coil packs. Something clicked, reminding me of the dozens of gt40p builds on corral.net and other sites, praising the motor's gobs of torque.

fast forward to august, and the bronco was back together, swapped from an automatic to a bulletproof 4 speed manual, manual t-case, and most importantly, the explorer 5.0 -bone stock with 1.7 roller rockers and a cleaned up intake. the bbk mustang headers i had in mind were unable to clear the new 4 speed bellhousing, so in a desperate situation, i used the stock explorer manifolds :eek: nevertheless the results were great.
(right after swap)

a few months later after talking to a explorer owner, he told me just how restrictive the stock manifolds were. he also told me the stock cam was garbage. So i took some of his advice to heart and threw swap meet bronco gt40p specific headers (a hard find) on and the difference was substantial. so far the best time in my 4900 lb bronco, with 33's and starting in 2nd, i got this thing to a 16.5 @84 mph averaging 5 runs with the gtech, none more than 16.7-- not bad for a off road brick with stock 3.55 gears and ultra wide shifts!

so next the stock explorer cam, truck intake, and (possibly) fi may be scrapped for a h.o cam 4 deg advanced, ported xplorer intake, maf a9l and some nitrous... i want to get your suggesions on a cam and intake for this sucker. It seems crazy, but beating a stock gt in this brick would be an awesome recipe for big grins and thats what im shooting for.

furthermore, i figure you guys would be much more helpful than mustang guys heaving around a fraction of the weight we do

anyway lemme know what u guys think and thanks in advance.
l_a13936a8d25644ca834504eecca1b9ed.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Three people that I can think of who might be immediate help are SVO, 410fortune, and JTSmith. They have all done a v8 swap or have massaged the 5.0 in an Ex. I know that there are others as well, but these three seem to be among the best in working with these.

yeah but im lazy, dunno if i wanna rewrite everything in another thread...

nice bronco u got there and welcome

ahh can i c&p this into the need for speed forum?

Welcome,

My suggestion would be to take the entire body off the frame and mount a seat directly on the frame. That should get you close to a GT. - joking

Seriously, that's a nice looking bronco! I think 410Fortune has a Bronco similar and should be able to give some good advice.

thanks jake! btw i wanna see more vids on streefire, your explorer is sickkk:eek:

as far as taking the body off the frame, some guys did that, don't get me started...

i love it!!1! Sweet!

what muffler are you running?

my bronco is just a bit smaller LOL
I have an 88 Bronco II 2 TWO not a FSB or Full Size Bronco

his truck came with a 5.0L stock available, mine only came with a 2.9L V6
I had to shoehorn the GT-40P into my BII and I used Torque Monster conversion headers.

Nice truck! Nice work!
Are you using the Explorer computer now??? I am guessing no since you said you have a manul 4 speed......You must have a distributor?

its runing on the stock truck speed density for now, which is very forgiving. On FSB.com theres guys with hci and some strokes that can get away with the stock speed density. i got an adjustable fpr just in case, but havent had to add fuel.

the plan is to run a easily sourced maf a9l mustang harness and ecm. im not sure on what cam to put in tho.

there was a lifter bii with a 302 around here it was sweet. what ecm fuel system do you use? any suggestions on cams for these gt40p motors that doesnt rev to the moon...?

the muffler is a flowmaster 1 chamber from my friends mustang. that vid was with the STOCk explorer tube thnigs (i cant even call them manifold's those things were BIZARRE) and flowmaster y to a 3 inch catco cat, aforementioned muffler and 2.5 inch tail. now i have equal legth headers and a bassani 3 inch y pipe, then the cat failed and i chopped it off, so i have no exhaust now.

these motors are too quiet. even with my 1.7 rockers the stock explorer cam has NO lope

im back

yeah so its been awhile, im bringing the thread back from the dead. so i got some goodies like a a9l computer and maf harness, tubular cobra intake and spacer, 70 mm throttle body, kirban adjustable pressure regulator and all the extra emissions stuff. also in the past year i mounted the equal length headers and got the full exhaust done, 3 inch single cat and 2 chamber and im almost finished redoing the interior. the gt40p bronco is running pretty good, but this is never enough, so when i put the new intake on, im changing out the explorer cam and need some suggestions. im thinking...

stock ho cam and 1.7s advanced 4 deg

e303 cam and 1.7s advanced 4 deg

crane 2031 cam and 1.7s supposed to be good s/c cam and good for 270 hp 300tq with gt40p's
http://www.georgeturbox2.com/images/Crane2031specs.htm

comp cams xe264 http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=1059&sb=2

im going for good power, and something good with a supercharger cause i want to run a vortech si next year. so whatcha think?

More cam. Lots more. You are using cams which will automatically clear the flat top pistons.
Have the pistons cut for clearance. 550 lift and 224 degrees or so of split duration goodness.

Unless you are trying to leave the heads be.

keep in mind the 5.0 is still a small engine for a such a heavy vehicle
and the more you modify it the more the power curve will move toward higher rpm
meaning youll need more gearing to keep it in the sweet spot.
An eaton or whipple style blower would be the best way for you to
get some decent bang for your buck without touching the engine.
that would give you max low end torque and make it really fun to drive.

Back