Ummmm what is this "bag" underneath my intake manifold? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ummmm what is this "bag" underneath my intake manifold?

ShanehSMP

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ont
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS 2WD
Hey guys,

I was changing my thermostat housing on my '03 4.0 and I noticed there there was a black "plastic bag" sitting right underneath the intake manifold. When I lifted it up I could see some holes....I don't have a ton of engine experience so I have no clue what this is or if it should even be there. I can't imagine what purpose it serves....

someone has to know.....

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics or it's not there !!!! :p:

Someone was trying to heat up their lunch?

Former smuggler-mobile used by exceptionally stupid smugglers?

its something during mfg, think they just put that to cover the knock sensor, later gens do not have this bag no more.

Tool kit for changing your tire?

my 02 has it too but my buddys 04 dont, i always thought it was some noise insulator thing, and the 04 is flex fuel and mine isnt if it makes any difference

its a stuffing bag it was put there to deaden engine noise

I have this bag as well and I do not have a clue what purpose it serves any idea? Mine is clear and it has a lot of condesation inside of it.

I just changed my intake gaskets and had the bag (2003 4.0 Flex) under my intake--I thought it was a heat blanket to protect the plastic intake

It's emissions related and helps to protect the intake from engine heat.

My '02 xlt early build has the bag. My buddy's 01 sport had it too. Always wondered what it was for! now it makes sense...

It's a heat bag to protect that intake manifold.

Last time I checked, mine was in the garbage can.

Hey guys,

I noticed there there was a black "plastic bag" sitting right underneath the intake manifold. I can't imagine what purpose it serves....

someone has to know.....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Did the previous owners name of your Explorer happen to be "John Bobbitt"? If so, hopefully it is not his left over "tea bag" after his wife "Lorena" got done slicing and dicing his "Johnson" off and tossing it out the window of their vehicle! :eek: Better check the past registration history of your vehicle just to be sure. ;) FYI, don't open that bag what ever you do! :D

plastic bag

its called a noise shield and its packed between the intake runners of the lower intake manifold . it muffles engine noise/vibration. chilton manual has a picture of it in section 6-17.

I just noticed mine today... its inflated too..lol

My 03 Explorer XLT has it. This is the cause of the damp musty smell when you turn on the air.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 03 Explorer XLT has it. This is the cause of the damp musty smell when you turn on the air.

Don't think that bag has anything to do with the damp musty smell of your A/C. That would be something in your evaporative coil housing. Probably mildew, condensation, etc.

Back