Dennis J.A.A.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orfordville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Interceptor
2017 Exploder PIU [YES I Spelled ExploDer on purpose!]
Anyone know where the fog light fuse is supposed to be?
How about how to get to under to the fuse box to where the wires are located?
I have been through the 2017 electrical book for days and almost have this damn thing memorized.
images.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no fog lamp fuse shown in the Owner's Manual so I can't help you there Dennis. I wonder if the PIU Upfitter's Guide would have that info.

Peter

There is no fog lamp fuse shown in the Owner's Manual so I can't help you there Dennis. I wonder if the PIU Upfitter's Guide would have that info.

Peter
I looked there also! I could have wired this entire system in a day but I wanted it to work with the light switch and the icon on the dash. So frustrating. You have no idea the names I have called their "engineers!". Funny thing is that the techs don't even know how to do it.

I looked there also! I could have wired this entire system in a day but I wanted it to work with the light switch and the icon on the dash. So frustrating. You have no idea the names I have called their "engineers!". Funny thing is that the techs don't even know how to do it.
I share your interest in wiring from the factory switch. As I have said before, Ford techs have told me to not modify, tap, use any of the dash wiring. They suggested using separate switch and wiring. They say it's OK to use a headlight wire to trip a relay.

I also looked on line for a way to use the factory wiring, and never found an answer other than using a dedicated wiring and switch.

I'll be glad to see how you get it working.

I share your interest in wiring from the factory switch. As I have said before, Ford techs have told me to not modify, tap, use any of the dash wiring. They suggested using separate switch and wiring. They say it's OK to use a headlight wire to trip a relay.

I also looked on line for a way to use the factory wiring, and never found an answer other than using a dedicated wiring and switch.

I'll be glad to see how you get it working.
RE: "I'll be glad to see how you get it working." Yeah! Me too! LOL
IF I can not find the correct wires then I will just do it my way. Yes, ONLY way to do it right is with the relay.
IF I am going to use the headlight switch then I will see if it gives me a + or - and put THAT on the relay coil.
I was going to do the same for other things using the steering wheel switches but haven't gotten past this first hurdle yet.
Never in my life did I expect this to be such a damn headache. If it isn't the damn wiring it's the weather.
56º now and snow by midnight with anywhere from 1/4" to 1" of ice by 06:00.
BUT we just might get lucky and it will keep going north!

RE: "I'll be glad to see how you get it working." Yeah! Me too! LOL
IF I can not find the correct wires then I will just do it my way. Yes, ONLY way to do it right is with the relay.
IF I am going to use the headlight switch then I will see if it gives me a + or - and put THAT on the relay coil.
I was going to do the same for other things using the steering wheel switches but haven't gotten past this first hurdle yet.
Never in my life did I expect this to be such a damn headache. If it isn't the damn wiring it's the weather.
56º now and snow by midnight with anywhere from 1/4" to 1" of ice by 06:00.
BUT we just might get lucky and it will keep going north!
Good luck! The dealership suggested only using a relay at the end of a run...not in the dash, but at a lamp. Their concern is that the system will "see" something different and think the truck isn't turned off, run the battery down..and number of concerns.
I'll be watching your (hopefully) progress.

Good luck! The dealership suggested only using a relay at the end of a run...not in the dash, but at a lamp. Their concern is that the system will "see" something different and think the truck isn't turned off, run the battery down..and number of concerns.
I'll be watching your (hopefully) progress.
When you hook up the relay you need to have the hot (positive) on a line that is hot when on only. Since it is only going to the coil on the relay it is using milliamps to activate that coil. The other two terminals is like flipping on a light switch; you are just completing the circuit.

Back