Underpowered 2013 PIU

Poppinsmoke

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford PIU
SO I just got this baby and I gotta tell ya. I'm not sure I could catch a shopping cart with the way this thing runs.

Does the dealership or whoever decommissions them re-tune them? I was expecting a peppy, sporty kind of drive that I would have to "be careful" driving or get a ticket. Any help would be appreciated. I haven't had it long enough to invest in any sort of tuner or have data logging done. But if it's something I can do with an as built reset then I may be able to handle that job myself.

Thanks.

Some car specs in my signature but if folks want more details I'm happy to provide. Being a newbie at this I don't really know what details to provide up front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be a ton of things. ive heard of people removing the PIU tune. also could be lack of pwor from o2s, leak, low fuel press, etc etc. any CEL? have an obd2 scanner? forscan? if they remove the PIU tune it would be slower than the normal PIUs, but to not catch a shopping cart? that tells me therres some other issue going on with lack of power.

could be a ton of things. ive heard of people removing the PIU tune. also could be lack of pwor from o2s, leak, low fuel press, etc etc. any CEL? have an obd2 scanner? forscan? if they remove the PIU tune it would be slower than the normal PIUs, but to not catch a shopping cart? that tells me therres some other issue going on with lack of power.
Forscan interface on order so I'll be able to check that shortly. Although other then just getting some readings it may be a bit before I'm confident enough to make any changes using Forscan. If i do get the interface I'll be able to at minimum reset it to as built and see if that makes a difference.
I do notice than when it first starts the idle sort of bounces a bit. I was thinking of resetting the ECM and see if that makes a difference with the idle. In another thread someone mentioned after resetting it to drive it a bit more aggressively. I'm pretty handy with the mechanical side of things but never dove into the logic side of the car.
Could be I over stated it a bit. It drives runs smooth, accelerates like a normal ride. I would have expected a little more aggressive drive.
No check engine light.

If you search this PIU forum for "pursuit mode" you may find something I read a few months ago. As I remember it you have to find a lonely road and hammer the accelerator for a bit and then it should kick in something like "sport mode" on some cars.

Forscan interface on order so I'll be able to check that shortly. Although other then just getting some readings it may be a bit before I'm confident enough to make any changes using Forscan. If i do get the interface I'll be able to at minimum reset it to as built and see if that makes a difference.
I do notice than when it first starts the idle sort of bounces a bit. I was thinking of resetting the ECM and see if that makes a difference with the idle. In another thread someone mentioned after resetting it to drive it a bit more aggressively. I'm pretty handy with the mechanical side of things but never dove into the logic side of the car.
Could be I over stated it a bit. It drives runs smooth, accelerates like a normal ride. I would have expected a little more aggressive drive.
No check engine light.
i think these might learn how you drive, so that could be why. but ill be hoenst and say im not sure, my 2nd gen for sure doesnt learn how i drive 🤣 :D that means when the hammer's down.. oh this thing is a rocket (imo, i know i know a ST can run circles aroudn me... but its quick enough for me)

SO I just got this baby and I gotta tell ya. I'm not sure I could catch a shopping cart with the way this thing runs.

Does the dealership or whoever decommissions them re-tune them? I was expecting a peppy, sporty kind of drive that I would have to "be careful" driving or get a ticket. Any help would be appreciated. I haven't had it long enough to invest in any sort of tuner or have data logging done. But if it's something I can do with an as built reset then I may be able to handle that job myself.

Thanks.

Some car specs in my signature but if folks want more details I'm happy to provide. Being a newbie at this I don't really know what details to provide up front.
Which engine does your PIU have? That would be nice to know.

Peter

I've driven a few Second Gen 2016-2019 FPIUs, including my own, as well as retail 3.5 vehicles my dealer has taken on trade and I've found that a quick way to test if it has the police tune is to see how aggressive the transmission upshifts.

If you sort of half-throttle it up to 30-40 MPH, the transmission will keep you in second gear around 3000-3500 RPM or so ready to accelerate and will eventually shift to third gear and beyond, or you can briefly let off the throttle and it'll shift. It also is much quicker to downshift with lighter throttle inputs. This hurts fuel economy but greatly increases responsiveness. I think most departments want the latter since it's the taxpayer's dollars paying for fuel.

On a retail Explorer / tune, the transmission will upshift much more aggressively at half-throttle to save fuel. You would feel/hear it going through gears one, two, three, and maybe four getting up to about 40ish or so.

I've heard from some of the old guys from my local PD that used to drive the Crown Victoria Interceptors that they were trained to deactivate overdrive in a pursuit by pressing the button on the shifter. It was one more thing to remember along with the lights and siren while driving so I can make a guess that Ford decided to do away with that and always have the vehicle in "pursuit" mode. The button that the O/D used to be locks the vehicle in low gear now.

If you'd like, I can find an empty parking lot and try to record what I'm talking about.

FORscan should show any engine codes that may be showing but not serious enough to show a MIL.

Is it expectations? Anyone you know near you to compare vehicles? It's definitely a sporty, peppy vehicle but it's still a 4,600# crossover. It may have the same engine as the Mustang of your generation but it's got another 1,000# to haul.

The 2016 - 2019 PIUs are 5th gen Explorers.

Peter

The 2016 - 2019 PIUs are 5th gen Explorers.

Peter

My implication was for Interceptor Utility vehicles. I was still wrong though. 2012-2019 is the first generation FPIU with the 2016 getting the refreshed facelift, 2020+ are the second gen FPIUs. The first generation FPIUs are built on the fifth generation Explorer.

Does the dealership or whoever decommissions them re-tune them? I was expecting a peppy, sporty kind of drive that I would have to "be careful" driving or get a ticket.
Are you saying it wont go over 70 or 80?

Are you saying it wont go over 70 or 80?
Haven't looked at it specifically but I'm sure I've had it over 70. It's more the acceleration when I press it that is less than I expected. I recognize it's not a sedan. But I've driven a 2014 explorer limited. While the handling is great and I love the way it corners and such, it doesn't seem to come close to the acceleration.

Haven't looked at it specifically but I'm sure I've had it over 70. It's more the acceleration when I press it that is less than I expected. I recognize it's not a sedan. But I've driven a 2014 explorer limited. While the handling is great and I love the way it corners and such, it doesn't seem to come close to the acceleration.
the PIUs should be faster than the limited i assume. can you get us some data on it? like live data, maybe theres an o2 issue or fueling, etc

4600 pounds and 300 HP. It's not going to drive like a Mustang GT.

4600 pounds and 300 HP. It's not going to drive like a Mustang GT.
should be faster than a limited of the same gen imo. iirc the limiteds had a high 7 time, i think the PIUs were about that fast if not faster

the PIUs should be faster than the limited i assume. can you get us some data on it? like live data, maybe theres an o2 issue or fueling, etc
I'm new to using forscan but if I'm correct once I have the interface I should be able to log that data correct?

should be faster than a limited of the same gen imo. iirc the limiteds had a high 7 time, i think the PIUs were about that fast if not faster
yeah I believe his is a 2012.

yeah I believe his is a 2012.
yeah iirc the PIUs had the 3.7 as abase model, but it should be quick imo, at least as quick as the limited...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt it's related to a decommission tune, Most people including technicians don't know what pursuit mode is either. It might have just sat in a dealer lot long enough to get "Lot Rot" or for the fuel to go bad, they are Flex fuel tuned. I wouldn't throw a lot of cash at it until you're sure though.
side note, does it cost $20 to post here? hosting a server was like $1.40 a month last I checked and 1 Ad could pay for that. been a while though.

Back