• Register Today It's free!

Universals front drive shaft.

edwhitetail

Reaction score
City, State
Cologne NJ 08213
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
The hubs on my 1994 Explorer were not engaging. Thanks to this forum I used a posted procedure to take apart and clean the hubs.They are now working perfect. Once it went into four wheel drive I realized I had another problem. One of the front drive shaft universals is pretty froze up.What is the type and size of the wrench to take the bolts out to drop the drive shaft.I looked at them and I don't have that tool. Thanks for any info. Ed from South Jersey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transfercase end is 5/16 12 point, the diff end is (I think) T-25 Torx but I'm not positive on that size, you should get a whole Torx set anyways, many other parts on your explorer use Torx bits. And be sure to get the socket style Torx, the individual wrench style aren't very good. You may need to heat the yoke up a little bit with a propane torch if you can't get them loose, a little heat has always worked for me.

The transfercase end is 5/16 12 point, the diff end is (I think) T-25 Torx but I'm not positive on that size, you should get a whole Torx set anyways, many other parts on your explorer use Torx bits. And be sure to get the socket style Torx, the individual wrench style aren't very good. You may need to heat the yoke up a little bit with a propane torch if you can't get them loose, a little heat has always worked for me.

Actually, the front is a T30 torx and the rear is an 8mm 12pt.

Actually, the front is a T30 torx and the rear is an 8mm 12pt.
Thanks for the Torx correction but 8mm is pretty much the same as 5/16, I use them interchangeably all the time.

Universals front drive shaft

Thanks for the info guys.I'm going to buy the wrenches and tackle the job next week. Going to Maine snowmobling this week. Take Care Ed from South Jersey.

Back