unknown prob | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

unknown prob

jenkinsfire153

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mercury Mountaineer
the temperature started to get into the 20's and i started my car the oil pressure gauge showed low and the check gauge light turned on. i checked the oil all of a sudden the gauge rises after i restated my car what could be the problem? its a 98 mountaineer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can hear a difference in the sound of the engine like a chain rattle or valve click until the gauge reads correctly then likely the oil has drained down while the engine was turned off and now being cold is thicker so takes a little while to get moving through the system. Usually can be fixed with proper oil filter. Use one with valve to keep the oil from draining back after engine shut down. Motorcraft has it as do many others.

If no noise just gauge then likely just taking a little while for thicker cold oil to get moving at the gauge, maybe a little sludge built up on it.

I have this same issue, using a Motorcraft filter and fully synthetic oil 5w-30. From my research it appears to be the sending unit gets gummed up and ceases to function for a short time or entirely. This seems to be more common the colder it is. This only applies to the SOHC to my knowledge.

if you're using an appropriate weight oil (5w30 or even 5w20) and a filter with an anti-drain back valve, my bets on the oil pressure sending unit/switch.

Back