• Register Today It's free!

unknown Problems HELP!!!!!

Jonathan Webb

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, Ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
I have a 2003 Explorer 4.0 V6 Eddie Bauer. It has 285,000 miles on it. A couple of months ago i got in it and started to drive off and when i would press the peddle, it would not accelerate. If i pushed it to hard it would die. No check engine light at this time. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires. After all this, no change. The other day i tried it again and the check engine light came on and the code on the tester was P0122 which is the Throttle Positions sensor. I replaced it and still no change. The only training I have had on vehicles is from youtube. you can crank it and it will idle but when you push the peddle it will not climb over 1200rpms and you push it hard it dies. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats a throttle position sensor, check the wiring from the throttle body make sure the plug is in all the way, and there is no breaks in the wiring first.

Test it for clogged catalytic converter. Sounds like classic symptoms

That would be next on the list

Replied to OP's identical post in the 1995-01 stock sub forum yesterday:
It is possible to install the TPS wrong. Did you feel slight spring pressure when lining up the bolts? Also, the Motorcraft CX1542 used on the 4.0L OHV engine appears identical to the correct DY967 for your SOHC, but has opposite rotation.

Thats a throttle position sensor, check the wiring from the throttle body make sure the plug is in all the way, and there is no breaks in the wiring first.
The check engine light went off after I replaced it. Before I replaced, it wasnt on until I pushed the gas hard. It would shut off and the check engine light would come on. After I replaced the TPS, the same thing would happen but when I would put the code reader on it said there were no codes.

You may have a short, make sure all the wiring is covered no open wires. Not sure on yours but some throttle position sensors require an adjustment, but it sounds more like a short some where.

any luck with your issues?

Back