Updated water pump, different chain? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Updated water pump, different chain?

aguita

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Platinum
hello, so I’m replacing my wp as preventive maintenance and read in another forum that the wp got updated with new gear and impeller so a new chain prolly updated must be fitted?

Is this true? I have a platinum.

I already bought the pump so I don’t know if this is the updated design

Comments appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hello, so I’m replacing my wp as preventive maintenance and read in another forum that the wp got updated with new gear and impeller so a new chain prolly updated must be fitted?

Is this true? I have a platinum.

I already bought the pump so I don’t know if this is the updated design

Comments appreciated

What is the part number for the one you bought?

Seeing as your Explorer is a 16, you probably the 2nd of the 3 different types of water pumps.

@blwnsmoke found the difference between if I remember right, he might be able to help

What is the part number for the one you bought?

Seeing as your Explorer is a 16, you probably the 2nd of the 3 different types of water pumps.

@blwnsmoke found the difference between if I remember right, he might be able to help

DG1Z 8501 C
On the invoice says part interchanges with #PW606

My question is do i need to get a new chain?

Confirm your build date of your truck first.

The main difference is between the 2012 and before / 2012 and after.

Then it is plug and play and should be the same one as what is in the truck or the updated model. No changes to timing chain needed.

Is this pump with 11 blades?

What is PW? This stands for power?

As for the above 2 questions, I don't know. I'm guessing the "PW" is just part of the part number. You can check to see if it the correct part for your Explorer by adding the item to your cart and proceed to Checkout where there is a place to enter your VIN to see if it the right part for your vehicle.
This does not place the order and you have the option to remove the item from your cart. Hope that helps.

Peter

Back