• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade Factory Sub

PFCmcdonald

Reaction score
City, State
Gresham Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I want my 97 explorer to have a little more bump. Nothing outrageous just tasteful. If I'm correct stock it comes with a 10" sub. I was wondering If anyone was used that same stock spot for a aftermarket sub. Does a aftermarket 10" fit? with some adjustments would a 12" fit??? Of course I'm getting rid of the stock amp and relocating an aftermarket on under the Passenger seat. Any info would help thankyou
:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 98 and changed the factory 8" w/ a JL 10". I haven't been on the cardomain in a while, but I have pictures of it. Not sure if that helps, but it is a start.

edit... pg 2 you can kinda see where I mounted the amp and pg 4 you will see when I installed the sound deadening material.

In my "Budget Bass" project, I carved out an OEM enclosure to fit an 8" sub. Aftermarket amp is under the rear seat, driver side.

Click on image for larger view
th_106_0691.jpg
th_DSC00451.jpg

I'm running a 10" in the rear spot, but also using a Q-Logic box. I'm pretty sure factory is 8" but others have fit 10" in the same spot. I just yanked out the whole setup and put the Q-Logic box in it's place. JL-Audio and MTX have similar boxes. "IamTodd" has a MTX for sale right now in a for sale thread here.

you could fit a 12" woofer in the rear area where the factory would be if u know how to fiberglass. and if u do id recommend a 12" kicker CVT or Rockford Fosgate P3S. but the easy way would be buying an already molded enclosure, i know jl audio and mtx make them and they come preloaded w/ a woofer.

Back