• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade questions

SurrealOne

Reaction score
City, State
OC Calif
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
I just got my 3-bar map sensor and 160 thermostat. I'm going to install this weekend and I'm looking for any tips I can get I'm sure the 3-bar map sensor is going to be the easy part of the install but I'm not so sure about the thermostat so that is where I'm going to have some problems and questions?
Do I drain the coolant all the way before I start?
Do I put the same coolant back in or replace with new and what is the coolant water mix I should use?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take the intake tube off, remove the hose to the thermostat housing outlet. You will lose about a quart of antifreeze from that. Then remove the two 8mm bolts holding the housing outlet on. Once you pop out the stock thermostat you will lose another quart to half gallon of antifreeze. Put it back together in the reverse order. Let the engine run with the cap to the overflow tank off after I topped it off for about 15 minutes to get the air out. Just keep an eye on it and the temp gauge. After that take it for a quick drive then shut it down and let it cool completely. At that point you will see if you need to top it off.

Take the intake tube off, remove the hose to the thermostat housing outlet. You will lose about a quart of antifreeze from that. Then remove the two 8mm bolts holding the housing outlet on. Once you pop out the stock thermostat you will lose another quart to half gallon of antifreeze. Put it back together in the reverse order. Let the engine run with the cap to the overflow tank off after I topped it off for about 15 minutes to get the air out. Just keep an eye on it and the temp gauge. After that take it for a quick drive then shut it down and let it cool completely. At that point you will see if you need to top it off.

Thanks but you forgot the last step :)
Contact Livernois for upgraded tune :)

No, the last step is do many many burnouts!

For installing the new thermostat:

Thermostat goes in first, then o-ring seal. The end of the thermostat housing is tapered to make the seal with the o-ring. I lost a lot of coolant and refilled about 3/4 a gallon of Motorcraft 50/50 orange pre-mix. I ran it with the heater on high, coolant cap off, and let the fans kick on a few times. Also kicked the rpms up a bit to help push air out of the system, and when I did that the heat got nice and hot coming out of the vents inside. I drove it to work and topped it off with a little more coolant. I checked for leaks too.

Good luck and enjoy!

For installing the new thermostat:

Thermostat goes in first, then o-ring seal. The end of the thermostat housing is tapered to make the seal with the o-ring. I lost a lot of coolant and refilled about 3/4 a gallon of Motorcraft 50/50 orange pre-mix. I ran it with the heater on high, coolant cap off, and let the fans kick on a few times. Also kicked the rpms up a bit to help push air out of the system, and when I did that the heat got nice and hot coming out of the vents inside. I drove it to work and topped it off with a little more coolant. I checked for leaks too.

Good luck and enjoy!

O-Ring only ? or should I also add a sealer?

Back