• Register Today It's free!

upgrade speakers in 02 eb.

02_AK_EB

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I have an 02 eb 4 door. I have the premium sound system with the sub but it sounds like crap. Guess im used to the bose in my audi. How hard is it to get the door panels off? What is a good brand of speakers to install?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

removing the door panels is very easy, 2 screws at the bottom of the door along the panel. then the piece behind the door handle should pop out, be careful not to break the clips, just use a small flathead screwdriver and be patient, once this is off it will reveal a third screw, take that out and door panel will pull straight up, once pulled up you must disconnect the plugs going to your window control all 4 doors are the same . all the speakers are 6x9's i use pioneer and they sound great. good luck to you and i hope this helped

Be careful, the door speakers are actualy 6x8 for the '02 model, adn not 6x9.
Some 6x9 will fit, but in my Sport they are two big.
As far as speaker brands go, anything after market will soundd better than what is factory supplied.
What kind of music do you listen to, and generally how loud? If you are going to stress the speakers, I would suggest getting something higher-end. If you are looking for a "BOSE" kind of sound you may want to look into Boston Acoustics or MB Quart. Most times though, you want get the proper power handling for these unless you go the lengths of installing aftermarket amplifiers.

As far as the subwoofer, anything that fits for an 8" enclosure should work just fine. I do not have a factory one installed, so I do not know the specs for it.
Can anyone provide the RMS power handling for the factory subwoofer?

yah I would love to throw a aftermarket sub in too but thats down the road. I listen to hip-hop and bass techno. Like it loud. I was thinking infinity maybe.

Infinity should be fine.
I was actually just looking at a set on sale through Crutchfield...
(Yes, I know its weird, but I troll car audio sites for closeouts even though I don't want anything for myself)

Infinity Reference 6832cf

Back