• Register Today It's free!

upper ball joints

trashtruck

Reaction score
City, State
capital district, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer xlt 4x4
hey all, hope someone can answer a quick question. i have a 92 explorer xlt 4x4 and am replacing the ball joints but was wondering if there is some special trick to lining up the knuckle and upper joint so that the camber bushing can get reinstalled. i've tried it several different ways and just can't seem to get the bushing back in. thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How is it not going in? I had no problems installing mine. I used a -/+4 degree unit and it slipped right in.

The ball joint being new, it may seem like it's too tight to move. If the joint shaft is at an angle, just angle it straight. It may take a little force since it'll be tight and not all floppy like an old one. Try slipping a deep socket over the shaft, chuck in an extension, and use that as leverage to move the joint around until it is straight up and down. Then the sleeve should drop right in around it.

How is it not going in? I had no problems installing mine. I used a -/+4 degree unit and it slipped right in.

camber bushing fits on upper joint just fine when not installed, when trying to install, i can't get bushing to go in anywhere near straight and it seems it wants me to compress it in order to fit.

The ball joint being new, it may seem like it's too tight to move. If the joint shaft is at an angle, just angle it straight. It may take a little force since it'll be tight and not all floppy like an old one. Try slipping a deep socket over the shaft, chuck in an extension, and use that as leverage to move the joint around until it is straight up and down. Then the sleeve should drop right in around it.

i've tried that and bushing will not go in, do i need to compress or squeeze the bushing to go in?

Depends on the type of bushing you have. If it is solid, you shouldn't have to. If it is one of those multi-adjustable ones, you might have to. It should be a snug fit around the joint shaft. See if you can tap it down in. Once it's in, it should still be able to rotate by using the hex.

ok, thanks. tomorrow my brother will be up so i'll have a third hand to try this again.

I used SPC camber bushings last time and one would not go in enough to reinstall the clip. I talked to SPC and they said not to worry about it. They also shot down my idea of grinding a little off the top of the bushing. I can't remember what degree they were but I think I may have posted on here about it.

I have had it installed like that for a few years and still no isssue with it and I wheel with it and beat up the front end on the dirt road.

~Mark

solved: had to have my brother pry the upper knuckle open while i pried it outward but finally had the bushing pop right in. thanks everyone.

Awesome! Sometimes we just need another set of hands...

Does anybody know if I can replace the upper ball joint by itself on a 2005 lincoln aviator or do I have to replace the whole control arm with the ball joint already attached to it?

Does anybody know if I can replace the upper ball joint by itself on a 2005 lincoln aviator or do I have to replace the whole control arm with the ball joint already attached to it?

Your best bet is to repost this as a new thread in the section for 05 explorers. This thread (and section) is about 1st gen, a whole different a animal from your aviator.

Back