Upper Control Arm Adjustment? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upper Control Arm Adjustment?

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
So today I got started changing the upper control arms and ball joints in my 2001 EB 5.0L 2WD. The job is straight forward enough and I removed the driver's side UCA and lower ball joint w/out any problems. I am aware that you can get UCA bolts with camber adjusters, but as my tires are wearing evenly, I didn't think I needed them. What I wasn't expecting is that there appears to be NO adjustment possible with the stock UCA bolts. It looks like the camber is set at the factory, during assembly, using color coded washers/spacers (in my case, pink in front yellow in rear). Is this the way they are or am I missing something? As the old bj's weren't all that bad and the tires were wearing perfectly I guess I'll just keep an eye on the tires and only get the adjustable bolt kit (and a wheel alignment) if I see I need it.

I'll measure and mark the passenger side 2-piece upper UCA before removing the old one

I'm installing Moog UCA's and ball joints w/Moog 7/16" end-links. The tie rod ends are okay. While I'm in there I'm going to also change the spark plugs with Motorcraft Double Platinum's. The old ones don't look too bad, but the gaps were at about 64 thousands and the tips were rounded. No idea how long they've been in there, but I'm assuming around 80k. What should I gap the new ones to? 54 thousands?

Back