upper control arms options with RB lift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

upper control arms options with RB lift

Phoenix99

Reaction score
City, State
East Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
Exploder 02 XLT
I got one of the early set of RB lift 3" or 3"1/2

Now the front wheels are camber fubbared , the top of the wheel is way in , even with the upper control arm set at maximum adjustment (alignment holes with shim , well the shim is gone.) Plus the 2 bushings at the end of the arm dont seems to be good anymore.

What are the options ? Is there longer arms available? Will a new Ford arm fix my issue? Do I need only the bushings? Does Expedition arms fit?

If possible Id like to know what are my options are , the alignement is fubbared and its extremely dangerous when it rains.

thanks

EDIT: Its a 2002 V6 4X4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got one of the early set of RB lift 3" or 3"1/2

Now the front wheels are camber fubbared , the top of the wheel is way in , even with the upper control arm set at maximum adjustment (alignment holes with shim , well the shim is gone.) Plus the 2 bushings at the end of the arm dont seems to be good anymore.

What are the options ? Is there longer arms available? Will a new Ford arm fix my issue? Do I need only the bushings? Does Expedition arms fit?

If possible Id like to know what are my options are , the alignement is fubbared and its extremely dangerous when it rains.

thanks

EDIT: Its a 2002 V6 4X4.

i have PMed you please check and respond

Yes Got it , I already saw your setup and I think it's sweet , But I want to know all options available for me. Price is also kinda important for me at this period of time. Lets keep in touch.

Anyone else wants to chime in?

Yes Got it , I already saw your setup and I think it's sweet , But I want to know all options available for me. Price is also kinda important for me at this period of time. Lets keep in touch.

Anyone else wants to chime in?

this is the only option for arms that are out there.

the spacers put the stk arms at a slant, im sure you know.

these arms brake down to 275 ea stk cost at least 100ea and are way to short.

let me know if you find another rout

My wife told me the same thing :thumbdwn:

But it aint happening , if I cant buy those , I'll make them. I have built a complete exhaust system with headers on my SHO from scratch , if you thinks a little control arm scares me....HA!

The control arms are around 500 bucks. Better off just to remove that POS "lift kit" before the camber of the control arms destroys the ball joint and causes it to cave into your springs going down the road.

the BTF arms fix all the issues you are talking about also they are using uniball joints much stronger

Put him in is place ThePotroast. Phoenix99 please let me know when you find one in Canada. I live in Montreal and would like some info thanks.

Oh nice , im in Granby , pretty close.

Yes i have bought some tubings and im currently designing it in a way to use energy susp bushings and the stock ball joint , ill keep you guys posted.

I may put it back on someday if I get the control arms talked about here, or have a drop bracket kit made.

correct me if im wrong, but i think you have a different control arm than us with the 3rd gens, which im sure you might know this already. so than you might have to have different control arms fabbed than that of 86's....

Actually... back on topic.. for 86EXPLORER ONLY:

1)Did the ride improve with the new control arms? Mine rode as if it had NO shocks on it at all with the spacers alone, that is why I removed it, that and the control arm angle .

2)What did you do to correct the REAR suspension with the lift?

Now for the ones who want to flame me constantly over this... MY POINT OF COMPLETE DISSATISFACTION WITH THE "LIFT KIT" is: It is being advertised as a stand alone "kit" meaning you need absolutely NOTHING else. But as we 2wd owners have discovered, WE do. (apparently 4wd is OK) So instead of the almost $300 I spent, it will now increase to over $1000 after I buy OTHER companies products to make Ben's work properly. Or just remove it, which I did. I just feel some one besides all you 4wd owners need to give advice on the kit, or Ben needs to stop selling it for use with 2wd Explorer. Or at least warn of it's dangers.

I may put it back on someday if I get the control arms talked about here, or have a drop bracket kit made.

First mine is a 4x4 , second , yes the ride is harsher with those - specially up front. And on mine the rear wheels are perfect , straight and everything. Its the front camber which is a problem (on mine) , even with the camber adjustment to the max , the top of the hub still rubbed on the coils.

Looks like on GEN3s theres no easy way to jack up your truck. Thats why I may come with my own solution , I love solving issues like this that requires some engeneering.

Guys the only reason they dont make parts for 3gen is all the rollover problems they had a few years back they dont want law suits so we need to work together and come up with mods.

Guys the only reason they dont make parts for 3gen is all the rollover problems they had a few years back they dont want law suits so we need to work together and come up with mods.

:thumbsup:BINGO:thumbsup:

First mine is a 4x4 , second , yes the ride is harsher with those - specially up front. And on mine the rear wheels are perfect , straight and everything. Its the front camber which is a problem (on mine) , even with the camber adjustment to the max , the top of the hub still rubbed on the coils.

Looks like on GEN3s theres no easy way to jack up your truck. Thats why I may come with my own solution , I love solving issues like this that requires some engeneering.

I'm looking forward to seeing someone come out with an alternative option to lifting a 3rd gen as well.

For anyone else that is looking to get a "complete" lift kit like JoeCool above, plan on spending a lot more than $250.

Hey back to the BTF control arms, 86explorer86 do you think that there is a chance we could get a group buy over the next month of at least 10 and have a cheaper price tag?????

Hey back to the BTF control arms, 86explorer86 do you think that there is a chance we could get a group buy over the next month of at least 10 and have a cheaper price tag?????

Yes there would be a good chance of that. They would be at least $50 to $75 cheaper a pair and be a boxed design which would both look better and be much stronger.

Hmm, that seams better. the 500 dollars is a lot for people to swallow these days.

Who would be interested, lets see first before we go any further?

How do I get a hold of someone regarding site sponsorship on here??? I PM'd a mod a while back and got no response. I want to become a site sponsor before trying to plug my stuff too much...

That being said, I would definitely be willing to do a group buy type deal with you guys and I am always looking for new vehicles to build kits for. I think the 3rd gen's would be a great candidate for a lift spindle/upper arm combo with or without a bolt-in coilover. the spindle would allow you guys to keep your droop travel which you lose when you go with spacers. Ride quality would be very close to stock, and while looking at eric's expo, it looks like I could build spindles with up to a 4" lift (obviously only for 2wd's) so, if the interest is there, I'd definitely be willing to develop a new kit or kits for these.

MODS: if this "advertising" is against the rules, please PM me and let me know how to become a sponsor...I am not the most computer savvy person in the world. Thanks.

-Brandon @ BTF-

How do I get a hold of someone regarding site sponsorship on here??? I PM'd a mod a while back and got no response. I want to become a site sponsor before trying to plug my stuff too much...

That being said, I would definitely be willing to do a group buy type deal with you guys and I am always looking for new vehicles to build kits for. I think the 3rd gen's would be a great candidate for a lift spindle/upper arm combo with or without a bolt-in coilover. the spindle would allow you guys to keep your droop travel which you lose when you go with spacers. Ride quality would be very close to stock, and while looking at eric's expo, it looks like I could build spindles with up to a 4" lift (obviously only for 2wd's) so, if the interest is there, I'd definitely be willing to develop a new kit or kits for these.

MODS: if this "advertising" is against the rules, please PM me and let me know how to become a sponsor...I am not the most computer savvy person in the world. Thanks.

-Brandon @ BTF-

Do you have any ideas pertaining to 4WD's? I ask because a majority of the guys lifting 3rd Gen's are 4WD or AWD. At this point Roadbully spacers seem to be one of the very few options out there (other manufacturer options are also spacers) and the price is right.

-Brandon @ BTF-

I sent you a PM to get ya started....

~Mark

not to be an ass but you guys building these control arms are they legal ? as in DOT ? i know some insurance companys if you have a lifted veical and get into an accedent may want detail of lift tires exc. If there home made stuff it may not go over to well.... spacers are spacers but a control arm that fails is well going to end up really bad really fast...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not to be an ass but you guys building these control arms are they legal ? as in DOT ? i know some insurance companys if you have a lifted veical and get into an accedent may want detail of lift tires exc. If there home made stuff it may not go over to well.... spacers are spacers but a control arm that fails is well going to end up really bad really fast...
They will be stronger than stock - the stock is stamped from sheet metal. But with pretty much all lift kits on the market, there is no such thing as "DOT" approved and pretty much all insurance entities will give you trouble over any vehicle "modifications".

Back