Urgent Advice

mick 1836

Reaction score
City, State
Stafford,England,UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4.0. XLT. RHD.LPG
Hi Guy's,

I could do with some urgent advice as the wife and I are suppose to be travelling to Spain within the next few day's.

I own a 1997 4.0ltr SOHC Explorer fitted with a 5 spd auto box I believe it's a 5R55E, the car has done 70,000 mls and the auto box is over due for a filter & oil change, (I tow a large caravan,trailer to you guy's)

Now according to the handbook that came with the car the auto box holds 9.25 ltrs of oil........The Ford Explorer Haynes manual says 4.0 quarts and an information download off this site claims the 5R55E box holds 10qts.

Having bought a new filter, gasket and 10 lts of (very expensive oil) we commenced to change the oil & filter today at my sons work garage.

On loosening the autobox sump pan we were very surprised that the amount of oil that drained out by loosening the pan bolts didn't appear to amount to 9.25 ltrs?????

On re-assembling we were very careful that the sump gasket was properly seated.......we started to pour the new oil into the sump via the dip stick tube.

We had poured 7 ltrs in and on checking the dip stick after carrying out the usual starting and moving the gear shift three times into D1,D2,D,N,R & P the dipstick appeared to show 'full'

I then drove the car a short distance home where I poured another litre of oil down the dipstick tube, I then heard a noise under the car and looked to see auto transmittion fluid pouring from the box (exact location unknown)

So whats going on??????

First when changing the filter and oil how much oil does it require 9.25 ltrs, 4.0 or 10 qts?

Could it be that not all the oil is stored in the sump?

Bye the way, when I asked the question of what capacity the auto box holds at my local Ford Dealer last week the chap replied,"Don't know,they just keep pouring it in until it runs out"

Have I now having poured in 8 litres of oil 'over filled ' the box? :confused:

For the record 1 litre = 1.0566 Quarts U.S :confused:
1 litre = 0.8798 Quarts U.K :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 99, the capacity of the tranny ATF is:

Automatic Transmission 9.5 L

When you drop the pan, you usually only drain about 4 quarts.

Alot of the fluid is in the torqe converter and wont drain out.

Plain & simple.. You overfilled the transmission. You have a couple of choices on how to get the fluid out, try to pry the pan a lil so some fluid drains out or try siphoning thru the filler neck with a long hose & siphon pump.. I suggest trying to get some fluid out by dropping the pan..

Getting excess fluid out is simple' just do it as you would do a flush.

Back