USB Audio Interface Suggestions?

CHH777

Once...
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Mazda Navajo LX 4x4
I'm looking to attach my laptop to my HU for that jukebox effect but the headphone mini plug is a horrible interface. Anyone purchase a USB interface for this purpose? Any suggested makes/models? Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is so horrible about the mini plug interface? Is it because it looks bad or is hard to get to physically? I would check Crutchfield for what accessories are available for your head unit, I picked up an RCA input that connects to the back of my Alpine.

Blue

I didn't know you could even do that. But what I would really like to know, is why? There are just too many small products out there to hook up to your system that do the same thing. Plus, with MP3's now, you can put so many songs onto 6 disks and put those in your CD changer. That is so many songs to play right there, it would take your forever to listen to each and every one of them.

well not all of us have 6cd/mp3 changers BBQ.... :nono:

and with a laptop you could also watch movies while it plays over the stereo...

this is *kinda* what I have to have a mini-plug out of my HU. I have the $15 dollar version from alpine tho.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Bvsb6R9dLN2/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?s=0&cc=01&i=469ALAIAUX&g=50900

then I just got a 2rca to 1mini plug adapter. It is nice to attach yours, or a friend's mp3 player... or my laptop... to the stereo and play music...

to play music via usb you would probably use something like this...
http://www.byterunner.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=byterunner&category=USB+to+Audio+Adapters

BBQ Hot dogs, not everyones head unit or CD changer will play MP3's. He is looking for a way to plug his portable MP3 player into his head unit I believe, hence the USB interface. Nfortunatley using a USB interface will be just the same as using the 1/8" headphone jack or RCA's, you would just have a USB cable at the MP3 player side..

Also CD's suck, especially CDR's, they dont last long, they get scratched, they are just a PITA.

Now ANY head unit that can control a changer you can buy an adapter for that will allow you to run RCA inputs.

I do not know of any USB interfaces so it will be interesting to see what happens with this thread.

I really like my Kenwood music keg, it works fantastic, but even with a 20 gig storage cartridge I still find myself getting sick of all the music on there every couple of months :)

BBQ_HotDogs said:
I didn't know you could even do that. But what I would really like to know, is why? There are just too many small products out there to hook up to your system that do the same thing. Plus, with MP3's now, you can put so many songs onto 6 disks and put those in your CD changer. That is so many songs to play right there, it would take your forever to listen to each and every one of them.

Yes there are a lot of small products that do the same thing, but why should you spend the extra money buying one if you can just use your laptop? I know I already have them all organized and everything, why would I want to spend the extra time moving them to another periphial? And the quality of MP3's just isn't good enough to want to have an MP3 player. My deck supports MP3 playback capability, but I'm not going to buy the extra hardware to take advantage of that function.

As far as makes, and models, I have no recommendation, but here's one I found that would work for what you wanted. http://www.smalldog.com/product/44521

410Fortune said:
BBQ Hot dogs, not everyones head unit or CD changer will play MP3's.

I do not know of any USB interfaces so it will be interesting to see what happens with this thread.

or maybe my post was hiding from you....

hydroxy said:
well not all of us have 6cd/mp3 changers BBQ.... :nono:

to play music via usb you would probably use something like this...
http://www.byterunner.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=byterunner&category=USB+to+Audio+Adapters

I'll even post the picture this time =)
tn-ua580.jpg

ua580function.jpg

edit: well seeing as how we have the same post times, I'll cut you some slack :smoke: but never again!!!!! :chug:

LOL, easy there big guys. I meant nothing by it. I never knew you could hook a laptop up to a HU. I am old school remember. This is something new to me and the thought of being able to do it and play DVD's is very intriguing to say the least. Do you know how many great songs you can store on a laptop? I think this is great, just didn't know it was possible. Please don't slaughter me yet, LOL.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
LOL, easy there big guys. I meant nothing by it. I never knew you could hook a laptop up to a HU. I am old school remember. This is something new to me and the thought of being able to do it and play DVD's is very intriguing to say the least. Do you know how many great songs you can store on a laptop? I think this is great, just didn't know it was possible. Please don't slaughter me yet, LOL.

atleast you know what an Mp3 is...

LOL, only because it came with a program that I bought. I bought Easy CD Creator 5 because I had a burner and wanted to make my own "hit CD's". I could not think of enough songs to fill one CD with the MP3 files. I never knew how many it would hold till that day. But trust me, MP3's were out for a long time before I realized what it was and what it did. I do know it kills the quality of the music for sure. I noticed that when I played "Days Go By" by Dirty Vegas over and over. It just loses it's punch in MP3 status.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
LOL, only because it came with a program that I bought. I bought Easy CD Creator 5 because I had a burner and wanted to make my own "hit CD's". I could not think of enough songs to fill one CD with the MP3 files. I never knew how many it would hold till that day. But trust me, MP3's were out for a long time before I realized what it was and what it did. I do know it kills the quality of the music for sure. I noticed that when I played "Days Go By" by Dirty Vegas over and over. It just loses it's punch in MP3 status.

you can set it so that the quality lost is pretty insignificant. Although then the filesize will go up.

Thanks for the replies/input. There are several reasons I want to go this route:

1) I've spent a lot of time/money building a HQ system in my rig. The mini plug sounds like ****. The background noise is overwhelming. I might as well play 8 tracks.

2) Burning CDs in a PITA. Sure, you can hold a lot of MP3s on a CD, but I have over 10,000 MP3s on my laptop and I end up burning new CDs several times a week.

3) Spontaneity: I spend a lot of time wheeling with my wife and friends on the weekends. They all want to hear different songs & music types according to the mood they're in at the time. This way I just pass the laptop to them and say "You pick". That way it's up to them. Plus, it's kinda cool when someone scrolls through your collection and says "Wow, I haven't heard this song in years!" Next thing you know there's a kind of "theme" for the evening. Everyone sorta gets into it. It’s cool to not be limited by the CDs I brought on that particular trip.

Anyhow, I’m considering this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EDIUA1X

Basic, yet it does exactly what I want it to do. It’s about the least expensive product I’ve found too. Some of the higher end units have bells & whistles I don’t need and they’re WAY more expensive.

shoot expo5.0 a PM - he'll get you what you want without all the extra crap on it.

Back