• Register Today It's free!

USB design flaw?

smithj33

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
I updated to the new MFT this morning and I still have one issue that remains.

I prefer to listen to audio apps via USB because the sound quality is much better than bluetooth. When I plug in my iPhone4S, it is recognized and I have Pandora set to use the dock connector. When I press USB on the screen, it just says to music available to play. I don't have any music files on my phone, but it should start playing the Pandora stream. If I choose USB using the steering wheels controls and the instrument panel, it starts playing Pandora. I can replicate this issue every time.

Why does USB on the screen and USB on the instrument panel operate differently? Can this be corrected?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2nd issue discovered with the USB. When I turn off the vehicle and start it back up, like running into the gas station, USB Audio shows that it is playing but there is no audio. I have to change sources and then select USB using the steering wheel controls.

The strange thing about this one, is that it is the same exact issue as my brand new JVC head unit I put in my ol' Chevy. I have contacted JVC about this as well. I assume it's just a lack of testing by the manufacturer.

2nd issue discovered with the USB. When I turn off the vehicle and start it back up, like running into the gas station, USB Audio shows that it is playing but there is no audio. I have to change sources and then select USB using the steering wheel controls.

The strange thing about this one, is that it is the same exact issue as my brand new JVC head unit I put in my ol' Chevy. I have contacted JVC about this as well. I assume it's just a lack of testing by the manufacturer.

If you have been having the same issues with a different radio manufacturer, then the issue is most likely your iPhone.

iPhone users seem to have lots of problems with MFT, and I think its partly Apple's fault.

If you have been having the same issues with a different radio manufacturer, then the issue is most likely your iPhone.

iPhone users seem to have lots of problems with MFT, and I think its partly Apple's fault.

Apple's fault or Microsoft? I am not a fan boy, but those two don't play nice :salute:

It has been my observation that Apple rails against any standard that it does not control.

I don't think it is the phone, but if so, then Ford shouldn't say it is iPhone compatible without fully testing a phone that is in the hands of 100 million+ people. The reason I don't think it is the phone, because the phone doesn't know I am changing sources on the radio.

The issue with the touch screen USB not recognizing there is an audio stream, but the instrument cluster USB option does, is totally a Ford/Microsoft thing. I will test both issues with an Ice Cream Sandwich device today or tomorrow to put this iPhone is anti-Christ issue to bed.

The Ford rep jumped in quickly to assist 2012Dave a couple weeks ago with a USB issue, so hopefully they test this for themselves and chime in soon.

****Update****
Who knew Google was so close-minded. Android does not allow streaming over USB only local files. +1 for Apple. Obviously this means the issues above only apply to Apple devices.

Back