• Register Today It's free!

Design flaw? Roof rack / sunroof

nelsong

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer LTD
Hi, wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I have a 2014 Explorer with sunroof and standard Ford roof Cross bars. I use a Thule full length ski box mounted to the cross bars. The issue I have is this: The cross bars come with a spacer to prevent you from placing the front one too close to the front of the vehicle. With the bar against the spacers in the frontmost position, the front of the thule box slaps the roof while driving on the highway. That is because the bar is about 2 feet from the front of the box which leaves a diving board effort with the box. In the rear, the box is positioned right up against the antenae allowing the rear door to open so it can not be pushed back further. Just to try it, I took the spacers out and pushed the front bar all the way forward. The Thule box no longer slaps the roof, but in heavy wind, the upward pressure on the front of the box flexs the roof and breaks the air seal on the sunroof. I presume that is why Ford wants the spacers... to ensure the pressure is behind the sunroof. Not sure how to best use my ski box. Even if I use the Thule bars, I think the roof flex would still be an issue. Thoughts?

My Ex specified load limit on roof rack/cross bars is 100lbs, was your carrier full when you tried it, or empty or...any idea ?

Have read on here that its not easy avoiding the antennae & wind issues when using a carrier.

Back