Using 2nd gen AWD T-Case in 1st gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Using 2nd gen AWD T-Case in 1st gen?

85 GT Kid

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I did a search and didn't see anything as I don't think anyone is stupid enough to do this but here's the plan :). So I want to do a 5.0/4R70W to a first gen along with the rear and AWD T-Case but I was wondering about the 1st gen front end compatibility. Will I be able to run with the original front unit (if the rear gears matches the front) or should I use the 2nd parts? I'll be buying a donor vehicle when the time comes so I'll have everything I need so that won't be an issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like it would be more logical to swap the body onto a Gen 2 chassis, unless you were wanting to keep the ttb front end.

Is it the square front you want to keep or just upgrade drivetrain stuff?

If your rear gears match the front you're good to go, "most" of the v8 trucks I've seen had 3.73 gears. If you're going to go all out, why not get the 4404 (I think) manual transfer case from the v6 f150 from 97-03?

Sounds like it would be more logical to swap the body onto a Gen 2 chassis, unless you were wanting to keep the ttb front end.

Is it the square front you want to keep or just upgrade drivetrain stuff?

If your rear gears match the front you're good to go, "most" of the v8 trucks I've seen had 3.73 gears. If you're going to go all out, why not get the 4404 (I think) manual transfer case from the v6 f150 from 97-03?

Ok here's what I wanna do: I've wanted to build a Jurassic Park Explorer for a LOONNNNGGGG time but I haven't thought of it for awhile.....til I saw Jurassic World :banghead:. So now I've been researching how to build a replica and had an idea on the dash (there's no gauges on the JP Exs). I thought why not swap the wiring harness and drivetrain from a second gen into a first gen? That would:
  • Give me OBD II so I could hook up a tablet for gauges
  • Give me a healthy V8 with AWD (which I loved in our Ex)
I know another builder who tried to run a separate system just for the gauges and that could be done but then I'd have to wire up the fuel injection for the 302 and I wanna avoid that at all costs. I do want 4WD/AWD as I have nothing for the winter so this would pull double duty plus I don't wanna get stuck running away from dinos :D. But I don't want the T case shifter as I couldn't do the custom console the JP Exs had.

That was actually something I thought of but didn't know if it would work but could I swap frames? That'd be easier. Be easier to get the manifolds of the 302 also :mad:;).

Ok... Neat idea. I would think that finding a total loss would be better off to start with, say like a rear end total, because you can ALWAYS find another disc brake axle if that was destroyed.

Yea that's the plan, get one cheap that has a smashed body. I'm keeping the rear from the old ex just in case. Hopefully I can find one this fall but we'll see. There's one near me for cheap that I might pick up if I can sell my Mach 1.

Ok it took me a minute to find the thread. It is athink that would be request long read, but it could inspire you some more.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223022

Thanks I'll check it out!

EDIT: Just finished reading up to where he tore the 302 down but dang did he have some time in that! Came out nice so that's all that matters.

I'm wondering if I can drop the first gen body on the second gen frame? I think that would work better for my build as I'm not swapping dashes.

Back