Using a Flat Screen in a Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Using a Flat Screen in a Ford Explorer

Khaloodi

Reaction score
City, State
Kuwait, Hawally
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Base
Hey guys,

Apologies if this was posted before, the forum search showed nothing that helps.

I have a 2017 Explorer, base trim with the 4-inch sync 1 system. I'm intending on upgrading it to sync 3 very soon. I've tracked all the parts down and all's going well.

However, the local scrapyards don't have the recessed screen. I've managed to find a standard/flat one out of a totalled 2018 F-150 XLT or so. Now, my question is, is it possible to fit that flat screen into the Explorer which uses the recessed screen, and if so, how?

Update: Just found those 3D-printable screen brackets made for use in 2011 Edge using the standard screen. Ford Edge Sync 3 Brackets by OkieDeric Would it work with my explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't have the answer but I'm sure someone will.

Peter

Thanks, Peter.

I've been seeing you all around the forum and was wondering when you'd show up :)

I did the swap in my Explorer with a flat screen from a Mustang. I had those brackets made and they just did not fit properly for me. I ended up modifying my old brackets. Took drilling new holes and trimming a bit, but it is all covered up after you are done. I was able to get mine perfectly centered and recessed using the old brackets.

I did the swap in my Explorer with a flat screen from a Mustang. I had those brackets made and they just did not fit properly for me. I ended up modifying my old brackets. Took drilling new holes and trimming a bit, but it is all covered up after you are done. I was able to get mine perfectly centered and recessed using the old brackets.
Old brackets as in the 4in Sync1 ones, or replacement Sync3 ones? I'm guessing you're talking about the Sync2 ones.

Can you provide any more details about this swap? It says you have a 2014 Sport so you obviously had Sync2 with the 8" recessed screen. Did you just simply swap in a flat 8" from a mustang and use your existing APIM controller etc? Did you have to reprogram anything?

Can you provide any more details about this swap? It says you have a 2014 Sport so you obviously had Sync2 with the 8" recessed screen. Did you just simply swap in a flat 8" from a mustang and use your existing APIM controller etc? Did you have to reprogram anything?
I know you asked Green94 but I've had a look at this throughout my research recently. The Sync 2 APIM isn't the same as the Sync 3's. You'll have to get a Sync 3 one if you're planning on upgrading. No idea about the reprogramming, as the parts and configuration needed for the 4" to 8" swap is different to the Sync 2 to Sync 3. You can reach out to DanMc85 at sync3programming.com, he can help you out with the programming specifics.

The Sync 2 APIM isn't the same as the Sync 3's. You'll have to get a Sync 3 one if you're planning on upgrading. No idea about the reprogramming, as the parts and configuration needed for the 4" to 8" swap is different to the Sync 2 to Sync 3.
Just to clarify, the quote in your post #7 was directed at Green94.

Peter

The Sync 2 APIM isn't the same as the Sync 3's. You'll have to get a Sync 3 one if you're planning on upgrading. No idea about the reprogramming, as the parts and configuration needed for the 4" to 8" swap is different to the Sync 2 to Sync 3.
Just to clarify, the quote in your post #7 was directed at Green94.

Peter
Just edited my response to show that, my bad. I just thought mguy13sport would appreciate a faster answer.

I did upgrade from Sync 2 to Sync 3. This involved getting all the parts (APIM, screen, adapter harness, newer USB hub to support CarPlay and a GPS antenna. As already mentioned, it will need programmed and I used DanMc85 as well to program it. You send him your VIN and he sends you a file to load. Mine has been flawless and highly recommend him.

Hey guys,

Apologies if this was posted before, the forum search showed nothing that helps.

I have a 2017 Explorer, base trim with the 4-inch sync 1 system. I'm intending on upgrading it to sync 3 very soon. I've tracked all the parts down and all's going well.

However, the local scrapyards don't have the recessed screen. I've managed to find a standard/flat one out of a totalled 2018 F-150 XLT or so. Now, my question is, is it possible to fit that flat screen into the Explorer which uses the recessed screen, and if so, how?

Update: Just found those 3D-printable screen brackets made for use in 2011 Edge using the standard screen. Ford Edge Sync 3 Brackets by OkieDeric Would it work with my explorer?
I just did the 8"sync 2 to sync 3 in my 2015 Expl Sport. Took me only 20 minutes and used the sync2 barackets on the new sysytem. Bought a very complete package, new, Ford brand, on eBay for about $ 625. Preprogrammed to my wishes. Also had to replace the media hub, Was also included. Even the 7mm screwdriver.

Very happy with this upgrade, works flawlessy and i can use Apple Carplay. Really recomended. If wanted i can look for the eBay link.

I just did the 8"sync 2 to sync 3 in my 2015 Expl Sport. Took me only 20 minutes and used the sync2 barackets on the new sysytem. Bought a very complete package, new, Ford brand, on eBay for about $ 625. Preprogrammed to my wishes. Also had to replace the media hub, Was also included. Even the 7mm screwdriver.

Very happy with this upgrade, works flawlessy and i can use Apple Carplay. Really recomended. If wanted i can look for the eBay link.
Yes, please. It would be great if you can link it here so that everyone can see it. Thanks a lot.

Here you go. As you can see just the car itself is missing :). This is a specially tailored version for European use (maps and FM radio frequencies) but you can easily find US versions.

Yes, please. It would be great if you can link it here so that everyone can see it. Thanks a lot.

Back