• Register Today It's free!

Utah_ee's '08 Explorer Build

Utah_ee

Reaction score
City, State
South Jordan, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer LTD V8
Hi all, my name is Jason and I am the new owner of an '08 Explorer Limited AWD. Looking forward to being part of this community.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome

Posting pictures on this forum

I have spent a few minutes trying to post a picture with no luck. Located the picture button that pops up a window for a url//

Is it not possible to copy or attach a picture to this forums?

Jason

Driving Ex home from CO, I was surprised of the low fuel economy compared to my previous Ex. I owned a 2004 Explorer V8 4x4 Limited that was in a car wreck and totaled in November.

We have made the drive from CO to UT a dozen times in the '04 Ex and would average 17-19MPG. In the newer, 2008 Explorer AWD Limited I averaged 15.6MPG. It was really windy during the drive, but I wouldn't have attributed that much of a loss in fuel economy to the wind.

Why such a difference between the two Ex's? Is it the AWD that is cause for difference in fuel economy?

Jason

Totaled Explorer

Here is a photo of our 2008 Ex that was in a wreck and totaled. We put 120k mi on this Ex. It was purchased in 2005 with 22k mi on the clock. Seriously one of the best vehicles we have owned. Loved that SUV and the newer one is a lesser SUV after a few months of driving.

https://flic.kr/p/F1QVc5

Jason

Nice Rig! If you ever want to bump into some other Explorer/Off Road enthusiasts you should check out the Utah Explorer's group. It is a fun time :)

Also, I've never used flicker, but I couldn't get your photos to attach either. Maybe consider using Photo Bucket, it is well suited for forums.

About that fuel economy....

Are you using the display in the cluster or actually doing the math (miles driven÷gallons to fill)?

I only ask because for years I thought mine was getting like 16.2 per the display but after actually doing the math it was almost actually 18.

About that fuel economy....

Are you using the display in the cluster or actually doing the math (miles driven÷gallons to fill)?

I only ask because for years I thought mine was getting like 16.2 per the display but after actually doing the math it was almost actually 18.

Using the display. I should probably do the calculations to check the display accuracy.

Running boards

After going through the Ex build sheet, I discovered that it was built with retractable step bars. When I purchased, they had already been removed. Asked the dealer about them and weren't on it when they picked it up.

I really don't like seeing the frame rails without step bars installed, seems like something is missing. Been doing research on step bars and determined they would be too expensive for a nice pair that looked good.

Chose to go with the Ironman frame covers instead of step bars. Put them on order and should be here soon. While I was at it, ordered some new carpeted floor mats.

Frame Cover Test Fit

Received the frame covers this week and put them on for a test fit and visuals. Definately an improvement. What do you all think?

https://flic.kr/p/EJWeKb

Now to get some paint on them.

Jason

It looks really good! I just finished my lift! You should look into one!

30tjvco.jpg

It looks really good! I just finished my lift! You should look into one!

30tjvco.jpg

Your Ex looks great! Can you tell me how much lift did you do? What type of lift? How did it affect your suspension? Do you pull anything with your Ex and how did the lift affect it?

Thanks,
Jason

So I have a leveling kit. Traxda 2.5 inch in the front and 1.25 in the back. As far as suspension goes it pushes up on everything . It affects the ball joints and sway bar the most, but it's mainly the links. As far as towing I haven't tried yet. I can't imagine it'll affect it too muxh. I highly recommend it .

Back