Utility trailer built from B2 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Utility trailer built from B2

I've got this wild idea on making a small utility trailer for my chopped top Bronco2. Since there's hardly no room in the bed due to my 33" spare tire mounted back there on the cage. I'm giving it some thought on making one out of another matching Bronco 2 :confused: Maybe like cutting it in half at the pillar behind the door. Enclosing it off. Them skinning over all side glass and rear hatch glass with metal. Leave the rear hatch operable. And also rear axel. Then extending frame to a point with hitch. I have not even looked at another B2 to see if it is even feasible.
I know you guys have seen some old hot rods with matching trailer towed behind.
I know it would not hold much, but should be great for camping gear, hunting and fishing and even hauling home the venison. Could even put same matching stars and stripes paint job on it like the B2. Small roof cage even.
Has any one ever seen this done to a B2?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

IMG_0186.jpg

The Ranger rear window that I got did not have much room for error when laying out the pattern on bulkhead.
I traced around the outside and then made my cut about 1/4" inside.

IMG_0187.jpg

It's just sitting in there temporally until I make some kind of brackets on the inside to bolt to.

Can't wait until I paint this trailer. It's going to look a whole lot better then that white board sticking out like a sore thumb :( But that will be sometime from now. I would like to put a 3" body lift just like my B2. I need to check out the gas tank also. I'll cut a access hole in bed to get at fuel pickup assembly. If it's OK I'll hook-up an electric pump to it for fueling whatever needs to be filled :thumbsup:
How about a 3rd brake light above window :eek: I think that would be funny:D

I would like to find some kind of L shaped rubber that I could bend around the edge where the wood meets the metal.

IMG_0189.jpg

Now the front of the trailer looks like the back of a Ranger :D

But there is a reason to my madness. That light does give it a more cosmetic look, but the real reason is the clear cargo light that is incorporated in it. Be nice to hit a switch to see tool box or hitch.

It would be cool to have that brake light hooked up also, but I don't know of the legality of it.

I also went to Family Farm and checked out the trailer hitches that I will soon be fabricating channel from existing frame to hitch. The hitches and trailers that I saw there had frames from 1 x 3" to 1.25 x 4" C channel for the largest utility trailers. That is why I cut the frame off, I't just to big and takes away from the build IMO)

Now no matter which way you park it, someone will be confused :p:

I think having the brake light hooked up may be illegal (no red lights on the front of a vehicle), also I don't know what the trailer laws are in your state, but in NJ you are required to have two amber lights or reflectors somewhere on the side of the trailer, so you might want to check what your state requires. (though nobody seems to care about it in NJ, I see trailers with busted lights and missing reflectors all the time)

Also, maybe you could make some kind of handle/lever so that you could still apply the parking brakes? It would keep it from rolling away on hills (though chocks might still be a good idea)

Yea, I'll leave the brake light alone and just use the cargo lamps. Good point about the amber lights on side. The good thing is that I have side marker lights on the chopped top B2 and the ones that I'll put on the trailer will match.
Did a little body work on the trailer today. I put some Bondo on the raw edge of the bulkhead, and later will paint over it. It's just a skim coat but with primer and paint should protect the edge.

IMG_0197.jpg

Started painting the trailer today. Need to let it stand for 48 hours before a second coat. Going to have the same paint scheme as my B2.
That area in front of bulkhead will hold a tool box.

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

The lower part of the fiberglass door will have the same stripes as the tailgate of my B2. The sides will have the body panels accented in red also.

I also ordered the hitch that will go on the front of the trailer. When I get it, I'll measure for the steel channel that I will need to connect to frame. First I'm going to run a piece of steel from end of frame across to other end of frame and then attach the V part to that.

Also need to order 1/2" x 1/2" sq. tubing for roof rack.

IMG_0204.jpg

Thanks for that tip :thumbsup: And I'm going to put a little different spin on it. I could only imagine the crap That's inside that soon to be 25 year old tank. But with that said, some kind of drinkable water storage tank is going to be definitely in the plans. Even if it was my round Igloo water container. I could mount it inside ahead of axel in corner putting weight in front of axel. Now here comes the neat part. How about an outboard valve that would be gravity fed installed low between bulkhead and front of tire that you see in pic.? I know on my camping trips water seems always to be in short supply :( And the fact that the water is in an insulated cooler with ice the better :thumbsup:

Hmm, might just to have to insulate that roof underneath.

May have to ride up the the Fall Nationals at Carlise today or tomorrow and get some insulation and other much needed supplys, like electic fastner, tie straps, assorted cleaning brushes and other must haves.

This little project is taking on a mind of it's own, along with all you guys input, keep um coming :salute:

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

This is how I envisioned it after having 3 cups of coffee a few weeks ago :cool:
Can't wait to put that shiny black tool box on the floor in front of bulkhead.

IMG_0208.jpg

I could have waited to paint it when it was more complete, but that's no fun. And any way it gives me a little more incentive to get R done.
And besides Deer season is not all that far away. Could really use this thing then.

IMG_0237.jpg

My hitch finally came in. I ordered from Trick Trucks and a much better price and quality then the ones they had at Family Farm.
Then the next thing that I needed was the 4" channel. This I got from the local steel yard. Here I'm getting ready to box the end of the frame. My only problem now is my mig welder is not working too good. It's good enough for some tacks, but I'll have to bring down a friends stick welder.
Tomorrow I'm going to measure some utility trailers and see how much the hitch sticks out from the end of the trailer. Don't need the tow vehicle smashing into trailer during sharp turns.
The hitch has a 50 degree angle. Could just stick it out far enough were the angle of the two legs meet up with the outside of frame.

This is one very nice trailer build! NICE work!!

Can't wait to see the final product.

Thanks Mountaineer Green, I just hope the thing tows good. That's why I went with the heavy 4' instead of 3' channel to give it some more tongue weight. I remember when I used to tow my race cars and did not have enough tongue weight. Swerve city :eek:
I got some plans for the inside, like some kind of pull out extension to sleep on for camping. But the whole thing would come out when hauling engines, tannies, firewood or whatever.

Thanks for the compliment JIGAWHAAT. Ya, it's strange about the responses I get about the paint job around town. It's with out a dout a high visible Ride. Even when it was Satin Black. Now I'm speaking of my Chopped top of course. Most people liked the Black and some would say, "when are you going to paint it" LOL. But when I went with the Patriotic scheme, it was a whole new ball game. There were some who just flat did not like it. But the vast majority did like it and to the point of saying they liked it much better then the Black, go figure. At any rate, I'm may one day paint it a more shiny Black with no other colors. But then again I kinda like the stock color of Red with white the way the Bronco was that I used for a trailer. Whatever I do, both will naturally be done the same.

Thanks for the compliment JIGAWHAAT. Ya, it's strange about the responses I get about the paint job around town. It's with out a dout a high visible Ride. Even when it was Satin Black. Now I'm speaking of my Chopped top of course. Most people liked the Black and some would say, "when are you going to paint it" LOL. But when I went with the Patriotic scheme, it was a whole new ball game. There were some who just flat did not like it. But the vast majority did like it and to the point of saying they liked it much better then the Black, go figure. At any rate, I'm may one day paint it a more shiny Black with no other colors. But then again I kinda like the stock color of Red with white the way the Bronco was that I used for a trailer. Whatever I do, both will naturally be done the same.

Thank god we do not all have the same taste as me. We would all be driving around in black trucks with black wheels. The work you have done here is top shelf my friend! I am envious to say the least! :thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JIG, All black with black wheels is one of my favorites. That's the way it was before the red, white and blue. One day I'll have it back, but with a Black that has more of a sheen to it then what I had.

Mt.Green, That's most likely what I'll do. That B2 I drive will turn on a dime anyway making it even easier to jackknife the trailer.

IMG_0240.jpg

After looking at this pic, I think some kind of gussets should be made in corners where C-channel meets frame?
Someone asked, why did'nt I use the existing frame and bend it to hitch. First I personally don't like the looks of that large width frame and the main thing, on these short wheel based trucks, there just is not enough straight frame to do it. At least not the way I have it built. And IMO the new 4" channel gives it a more sanitary look ;)

IMG_0242.jpg

I checked on some utility trailers and found that the tongue sticks out 36" to 48" on the larger trailers.
To get my tongue out at least 36" I had to take the legs of the V bracket out to the limit of the frame width as you can see here.
It still needs to be welded at this point.

IMG_0243.jpg

Here is where the V-bracket, frame and the C-channel that boxes in frame all meet. Can't wait to burn some Rod here :D

Also went to DMV to get paper work for tags.
A little more involved then what I would have thought. They even want to know how much did I spend, and where did I buy the material WTF. And if it is used as a camper, two pictures of the inside, again WTF.
The built trailers that I've seen around this one dog town. I thought that all you need was a F150 rusted out truck bed with bent frame and no light and your good to go :D

IMG_0244-1.jpg

Found this wiring diagram in my Ranger/Bronco2 shop book. Now I know which color wire goes to what light including dome light without checking all of them :confused:

th_MVI_0236.jpg

Did all the welding on the tongue today.
Check out the maneuverability of this thing. A video is worth a thousand words. Still needs some more trailer related items.

Back