• Register Today It's free!

V6 to V8 Swap

WILDCARD007

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello, I currently have a 1999 Ford Explorer XLT AWD V8 that was hit on the driver side this week. Internally everything seems to run fine. I was looking for a new explorer and use as much parts out of this one as possible. I found a 1998 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD/AWD with the V6 4.0 for cheap on craigslist. Has anyone ever done the swap before? Any things i need to know or tips? Whats all the parts from the donor vehicle needed? Is there anything from the 98 that can be kept to work with the V8?
Thanks
Nick

your going to be better off if you can find a 99 to slip your 99 drivetrain into. biggest reason is the fuel system is different from a 98 and down, and 99 and up. when i did my swap, i got these from the donor truck. both trucks were 98's

the shopping list is
trans (duh)
motor (double duh!)
transfer case
drive shafts
rad/condenser ***update, 4L SOHC rad/condenser will work***
a/c lines
power steering lines, and cooler
motor harness, and wiring from alt to battery ***update, 4L underhood body harness will mate to 5L motor harness, however, oil gauge wire, and a/c wires need to be modified to work***
throttle cable
trans shifter cable (not sure if i will need it, but hey) ***update, 5r55e cable will work***
air filter box ***update 4L SOHC box, and sensor will work***
exhaust from manifolds to muffler,
fuel pump (not sure if needed but.....) ***update, 4L SOHC pump will work***
g.e.m.
p.a.t.s.
key ring around ignition cylinder, and ignition cylinder
locks including hatch lock
radio bezel
computer
cruise motor with cable
evap lines

if you want more info, click on my registry. page 9 is where i start doing the swap.

Back