V8 4.6L PCV Valve with pictures (is this right?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 4.6L PCV Valve with pictures (is this right?)

WolfZone

Reaction score
City, State
Magalia, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer 4.6L
Ongoing self maintenance I read about the PCV valve in my book, and so went after it, what I found is nothing much what I see pictures of online, all I can find online also thought is 4.0L

I'm driving a 2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 4.6L

Ok onto the pictures!

Here is the page in the Chilton book
pcv-1.jpg

Here is under my hood, looks right
pcv-2.jpg

Out with half a twist
pcv-4.jpg

and that is it? Hollow?
pcv-5.jpg

This is where it came from
pcv-6.jpg

This is where the hose leads to
pcv-3.jpg

This is the other cover side, to show whats on it

pcv-7.jpg

So is this Really the PCV valve? why are all the ones I see online having metal or a spring or some smaller inside?

Appreciate any input! :D

Your pcv valve is located right where that plastic tube ends on your last pic, its underneath the intake tube. it will have a metal ball (check valve/flow regulator inside) that's the part that rattles. Make sure they give you one made for the 4.6 (verify that part number) as the 4.0 pcv is identical on the outside but it will cause your oil to foa up. Ask me how I know...:rolleyes:

Also, get a ford pcv as its critical flow parameters remain the same as factory in order to insure adequate flow at various engine regimes.

Ah ha, I see what you're saying, that grey piece between the elbow and cover?

So then I guess my book is stupid? And what did I pull off if that is not the pcv? This is the closest I find looking similar to what I pulled, only it has something inside
http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Moto...s_5?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&carId=001

Looks like the Motorcraft EV258 would be my part maybe.

Thanks for the help!

[[UPDATE]]
after a meal I went ahead and got back under my hood and sure enough, that is it! thanks again! now I really wonder what the heck the book had me remove.

Back