V8(5.0) 4WD not allwheel drive- does it exist? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8(5.0) 4WD not allwheel drive- does it exist?

cecoen

Reaction score
Am I looking for a truck that doesn't exist? What year (s) did the Explorers come with a 5.0? Any of them come with 4WD? My 94 Sport is getting tired at 215K miles and am looking for a replacement. After driving an under powered 2WD 5sp I want a V8(5.0) auto that will go anywhere! So I guess what I am asking is:

1. Does it exist?

2. What years were best?

3. Anything I should be warned about?

I have been looking around the Atlanta metro area but have not seen one on the used lots yet. I have been REALLY pleased with my 4.0 '94(with the exception of that darned throw out bearing!) Are you guys having the same good experiences with the V8 trucks? Thanks for all the help here. Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried the search feature but it didn't like the phrase "v8" or "4WD" so I didn't get any good results.

Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

doesn't exist unless you buy one that was converted.

you can covert it yourself for like 1,500 i think. i'm not exactly a 4wd expert though.

talk to stadx2. he did it already. i think section525 did it also or is planning to.

I believe the V-8's were first introduced in late 1996, and went through 2001. They switched to the 4.6 w/ the new body style. The V-8 Explorer's are the most reliable of all the Explorer's, the 5.0's are bullet-proof and last way over 100,000 miles and their transmissions are the same as the F-150 (I'm not positive on this, but they are considerably stronger than the tranny's in v-6's). The only common problem I've heard of is the exhaust gaskets tend to leak, and Ford was the only to produce the headers, and they stopped productions a couple months ago.

The V-8 uses the same 4R70W tranny used in the GT Mustangs and the like so it is a rock solid transmission. The A4Ld based trannies in our V-6 X's leaves a bit to be desired, but the 4R will not die on you. Trust me, this 5.0 is a tried and true design. It will run until the truck rusts and falls apart.

sorry to jump in on this thread, but it seems that some tranny experts might read this thread, so ill ask a question.

My x has 22,600 miles on it. itz a 2000 v8. my question is that when i go about 65mph, then let off the gas and let the truck coast, around 50mph down to about 45, i feel the truck jerk a tad bit, almost like its downshifting, but the rpms stay the same. i have a feeling it could be the tranny. Im prob going to get the truck looked at when i go home. but im assuming the dealer will have to drive it first, and then maybe take apart the tranny to find out. any others have a similar experience?

DARN IT!!!!!! Wouldn't ya know, I finally make up my mind on a 1996+ V8 4WD xploder and Ford doesn't make it!

So........What's the best way to go about this, buy a v8 2WD truck and a transfer case, axle, and some wiring OR buy a 4.0 4WD truck and a 5.0 motor? I have read a lot of the sites linked from here that show step by step v8 swaps and it looks like a pain in the a$$ and not quite a "bolt right up" modification? I'm thinking changing the tail shaft of a tranny and adding a transfer case, some drive shafts & a front axl would be easier? HELP! Thanks everyone for the advise here!

Chad

Get an AWD Explorer. Get an AA adapter so you can bolt the stock 4r70w tranny up to a BW-4405 (Stock V6 transfer case). You'll have to change the output shaft in the tranny as well. Then get the 4WD radio bezel from a V6 Explorer, the 4WD computer, and talk Stadx2 into giving you the wiring diagram to hook it all up.

Then you'll have the world's second 2nd gen V8 4WD X. :D

If he beats me too it... The mod is high on my list :)

And I'm figuring $800-1000 for it.

I would like to get Stadx2's write up. I don't think he needed to do any work to the driveshafts or crossmembers, but I'm not 100% sure. However, my hunch is that it is "bolt-in."

Originally posted by expo5.0
doesn't exist unless you buy one that was converted.

you can covert it yourself for like 1,500 i think. i'm not exactly a 4wd expert though.

you mean you can convert to v8, there is no new sport with a v8 stock at all.. almost all the sports come 4wd sheesh, hes not asking for a 4 door hes asking for a sporty 2 door oversized quad :D

Originally posted by Rydin Dirtay
you mean you can convert to v8, there is no new sport with a v8 stock at all.. almost all the sports come 4wd sheesh, hes not asking for a 4 door hes asking for a sporty 2 door oversized quad :D

He's asking if any of the V8 Explorers are true 4WDs. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with Sports. :D

Dead Link Removed

Originally posted by cecoen
(s) My 94 Sport is getting tired at 215K miles
Chad

i took from sport he wanted another sport... yes from 97 on there is a v8 4x4, 4 wheel drive? ok now im starting to get the picture... buy yourself a subaru if you want 4WD an explorer is a mans truck jeez cmon now.
im taking from True 4wd you want the truck that engages the front end when the back slips.. thats a true 4wd however what you ask for is not always the best for off-roading.. our quads are true 4wd and it is cool in some areas but ****ty in others.

rydin, the v8 for 96-01 explorers are awd or 2wd. there is no 4wd version where you have a low range. however, stadx2 has done a conversion where he went from awd to 4wd.

4wd and awd are different.

I don need no stinkin AWD! I want true low range, rock crawling, telico ridin' mountian climbing, river crossing 4WD!

Maybe even a twin stick Atlas, hey if ya got to convert it why not right?

Get an AWD Explorer. Get an AA adapter so you can bolt the stock 4r70w tranny up to a BW-4405 (Stock V6 transfer case). You'll have to change the output shaft in the tranny as well. Then get the 4WD radio bezel from a V6 Explorer, the 4WD computer, and talk Stadx2 into giving you the wiring diagram to hook it all up.

So what you're saying is just get an all wheel drive and do some bolting and wiring! WOOO HOOO there is hope yet. When you say "AA" do you mean advanced adapters?

So I guess my next question is, would a 2WD truck be easier to convert with AA parts or is the AWD truck the way to go. I too am only hoping to spend a grand or less, unless I go with the twin stick set up. Thanks for everything guys.

Chad

PS. I want another 2 door Sport but the kids are telling me I NEED a 4 door so a 4 door it is this time. Good guess though.:D

Yes, Advanced Adapters!

And you'll definitely want an AWD to start out with. Otherwise you'll have no front diffy, half shafts, etc.

Unless you want to go to a solid axle. Then a 2WD would work just as well. :D

You could easily do this for a grand or less. We picked up a 4405 tcase for my GFs Sport off eBay for $120 shipped. And it worked great! The adapter is/was $500 I believe. So the rest would be in getting your shaft swapped and the bezel and 4WD GEM. No prob! :D

Section525,
What is the torque capasity of that 6cly transfer case? Have you had a chance to really torture yours? How'd it do? Do you know off hand what other manufactures might be using the same one, like any Jeep vehicles by chance?
I figure by the time I am dome adding go fast(and big torque) goodies to the 5.0 the poor little transfer case might not hold up to well turning maybe 33's?

THIS IS GONNA BE GREAT!

I guess if all else fails I can get the AWD model and lower the $hit out of it and make a street truck of it!;)

Chad

Chad.. I haven't done the swap yet. I just converted mine to AWD a few months ago. I just have the tcase in my garage already waiting for my slack ass to do something.

But as for as what the tcase can take... I'm not 100% sure. But I know they can usually handle a lot more than what they're rated for. I think as long as you keep your 5.0 under 400HP.. the tcase should keep up. :D

That's cool. I'm not planning on any where close to 400 HP. Would like to see some big torque numbers though.

I was looking at some xploders on Ebay and on the dash of one of them it had a knob for "auto" "High range" and "low range"
It was a 6 cly truck but is that what you are going to have? I was thinking of just 4WD I didn't even consider keeping the auto all wheel drive. Too cool!

Thanks for all the help.
Chad

Yeah... you can keep it as Auto - 4Hi - 4Low

or probably do the brown wire mod so you have 2low and 2hi available too. You do that mod by putting in another switch that cuts all power to the front wheels. A lot of people don't like the Auto function cause you can't burn out and stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the torque capasity of that 6cly transfer case? Have you had a chance to really torture yours? How'd it do?
Is the 4405 the only t-case that would work? A BW1354 would't work? I am considering buying a V8 and doing a 4wd swap. I broke the TOD clutch in my 4405 and now if the front axle gets half or more power it slips and pops.
buy yourself a subaru if you want 4WD an explorer is a mans truck jeez cmon now.im taking from True 4wd you want the truck that engages the front end when the back slips.. thats a true 4wd however
That statement couldn't be more wrong. Subaru's and the system you describe are called ALL WHEEL DRIVE. Not true 4wd, or any other 4wd other than "automatic 4 wheel drive"

Back