V8(5.0) 4WD not allwheel drive- does it exist? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8(5.0) 4WD not allwheel drive- does it exist?

Mbrooks,
Just so I have this right, you broke youre T-case with a 6cly Xploder? :eek: Now all of a sudden I am thinking that there is no way that T-case will hold up to a V8? Just how in the world did you break yours?

Chad

the 2002+ explorers are available with v8 and 4wd. my mom has one. im tellin you that 4.6 kicks ass in front of that 5spd auto, that things sets you back in that seat!! especially compared to my wimpy 4.0 with 3.08 gears :)

Yeah, and I have a bone stock 4.0. There is a clutch in there that allows the auto 4x4. the prob is the clutch just locks up for low. So now when I'm in low and have to brawl through something with some power the TOD(torque on demand) clutch slips and makes a binding noise. I was on a road that was closed due to too much snow (12-18" of hardpack) and there is a long steep hill. Half way up my clutch started slipping and I thought I was going to loose my 4wd all together. I think for strickly on road use the t-case would hold up ok. But for off road, and stomping on it, I'd look for other options. The BW1354 has no clutches and is available in auto or manual shift. It also has the same bolt circle as the 4405.

Back