V8 Aftermarket Performance Parts - The List | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 Aftermarket Performance Parts - The List

Do you have a link to the metal dyno chart? Now when I click on it, all I get are installation instructions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I must be crazy. I click that link and get installation instructions.

No.. im getting the installation instructions for the intake... wierd eh? I get the dyno chart when I go to the plastic intake... but instructions for metal one....

Strange. To sum it up, the plastic one actually robs horsepower 'til about 3k rpms. The metal one hangs right with stock 'til about 2700.

Well... I guess Ill have to take your word for it. lol. So, when you click that link above.. you get the dyno chart? I even tried downloading the pdf directly....

Works fine for me. Try dumping your cache.

Well, after seeing both charts, my guess is that they are both basicly the same. I would guess that they differ in material only. If you look at the metal dyno, the stock truck has more horsepower than the stock truck with the plastic intake at the same rpm. Im guessing the two charts are just different because they were dyno'd on different trucks or in different conditions.

Wel, just finished installing the K&N AirCharger system on my Explorer and it sounds awesome. You can definitely feel a difference when you step on it. After talking to several performance guys they all had the same opinion that the metal tube is just going to pick up heat and that plastic was the way to go. When you check the K&N site they also say that the plastic pipe system will boost you 11 HP and the metal one gives you 10. Hey ... one horse is one horse right. The site even says that the metal kit is for "show", so I guess it serves that purpose. Anyway, it seems like a well spent $273.

i was wondering was it hard to install the intake by yourself? i'm planning to get it when i can afford it. and do it myself..

Not at all Ironman. There are a few key steps that they don't mention in the instructions tho, which I thought was weird. And I did have one bolt and two washers left over. The trickiest part is trying to slide the rubber gasket onto the heat shield (I used a rubber friendly silicone spray lubricant to assist me). There is also a bracket that you need to remove one valve cover bolt to install and what they dont say is that there is a hose bracket that is beside it that just pulls out of the valve cover, and is reinstalled thru said bracket. Other than that it's just following instructions. It does seem to take a while, over an hour, which is a bit more than a lot of them I think but it is pretty crowded under there. You sure get rid of a lot of it tho when you put in the K&N. I also installed the H13 SilverStar headlight bulbs but didn't get a real chance to try them out last night. I was hoping to be able to get the SilverStar Ultra's but I phoned Sylvania's hotline last week and the rep said that even tho they have an email saying they are going into production this year, they are probably still about six months away.

The instructions for the metal intake are just plain wrong.

Infinity u got true duals on ur 08 Sport Trac. I got dual 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and i love the sound

I guess I will find out how wrong they are on Saturday.:thumbsup::rolleyes::thumbdwn::rolleyes::thumbsup::rolleyes::thumbdwn::D

If you have doubts... Look at the instructions: http://www.kandn.com/instructions/77-2573.pdf

For example:
Step 17 shows one piece of trim. There are two.
Step 19 shows the bracket on the front. The illustration shows it on the back and the hardware is different.
Step 26... The hoses are the same length.
Step 16 will be the most fun. You don't need the back bolt, by the way. You'll reuse the Christmas tree fastener on the hose instead.

I'm a K&N Dealer. They sent me this intake as a demo and for my feedback. I told them about the instructions. They're being rewritten now.

When you do the install, if you have any questions or need help, let me know. I can offer advice as well as pictures of the install if needed.

seven seven oh nine four five one one nine five.

Install time was about an hour. Directions were the worst I have seen in a long time. Parts, well one was missing. Other than that if you are good at retrofitting and guessing the install will not be bad. Just make sure you have small metric allen wrenches and torx drivers. The sound of the intake is pretty cool, not as good as my opened air box with a KandN filter in my '98 5.0 Explorer though. The truck does seem to take off beter. Well, step one is complete, now onto the next $300 or so.

Back