Valve body rebuild?

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
I am going to have a local shop do the valve body upgrades with the Ford kits, Superior Shift Kit, new solenoid and Sonnax boost valve.

I was wondering how much time it would take a quality shop to perform such work? and if it would be better for me to supply the parts or them to supply them.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone have any idea how long it took them to perform the valve body upgrades?

I would imagine a shop would probably charge 3 hours or so to remove the VB, rebuild it, reinstall it, and refill the tranny. That's a guess though. I think the labor rate JUST to do the FORD mod was like 1.8 hours...

Thanks For the info Glacier.

Glacier991 said:
I would imagine a shop would probably charge 3 hours or so to remove the VB, rebuild it, reinstall it, and refill the tranny. That's a guess though. I think the labor rate JUST to do the FORD mod was like 1.8 hours...

Chris, What is he Ford Mod?

Thanks ......

FORD has a TSB out on the 5R55E valve bodies. It includes removing the VB, eliminating the EPC pressure blowoff valve and removing the screen, replacing the separator plate with a modified plate without a hole for the stock blowoff, and then removal of a bore plug in the VB and replacing it with a modified one to allow pressure relief. I did the mod in the 5R55E VB Rebuild Diary.

As for the time I mentioned, I believe Eneurb said that his dealership was getting paid 1.8 hours on warranty, and that they charged something like 3 yp the customer when it was not warranty... someone would have to search under his name to find that exact post. [Note - for those not familiar, it is common that when a dealer performs warranty work, the mfgr pays them to do it. The rate of compensation is usually about 60% or so of what the dealer would actually charge YOU, if YOU were the one paying them. FORD has the juice to force a lower rate, you only have $$ <grin>]

Overpressure on that VB has been a major cause of blown out gaskets. This mod I am asssuming is directed to solving that problem. Transgo has a shift kit that accomplishes this is a dofferent fashion but makes the FORD mod unnecessary. Superior's shift kit addresses the problem electrically by giving you a ballast resistor to splice in. Of the 3, I think I prefer the FORD mod. If you are not having problems, I am not sure I'd do it, but sure as heck would if I had any reason to be in there!

superior shift kit

glacier, don't you think the electric gizmo from superior is to raise the pressure, they even call it a "pressure riser". and their literature implies it will raise the pressure about 5-10 lbs or so. the weak pump, vb, valves etc, all contribute to overall low system pressure so they are trying to boost it. as i see it, the epc is energized to lower the system pressure by blocking the full pressure flow from the pump. by adding a resistor they are lowering the power getting to the coil and allowing more pressure to come thru the epc body.

Back