• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

A4LD Valve Body Rebuild Diary

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
The Sonnax part? I still don't see it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/A4LD_Manual_valve_index_sleeve_p/400-005694701.htm
56947-01 A4LD Manual valve index sleeve.
Description:
This sleeve fits over the manual valve, and prevents the valve from moving past the land position. It helps prevent a reverse delay & forward clutch failure.
http://www.sonnax.com/instructions/56947-01-IN.pdf
400-005694701-2.jpg

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
in post12 he said he took it out but never showed it.so it just fits over the end?
Posted via Mobile Device

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
sweet thanks man
Posted via Mobile Device

nooberiffic

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Glacier, did you ever finish your poor mans A4LD rebuild?

Hessu

Reaction score
Regarding the manual valve, what is its correct position in Park? I have three A4LD's at the moment which I am studying and building one out of them. They all put the manual valve in slightly different position because of play in the linkages. Is there a measure or a way of telling it from the position of the spools inside the valve body?

Hessu

Reaction score
Maybe the question was a bit obscure, I was wondering the distance that the Sonnax manual valve sleeve limits the movement to. It is possible to wiggle the valve back and forth sligthly even the selector link 991-3 isn't moving.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Professor2

Reaction score
City, State
LaCenter, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
The transgo pack has a washer with the orange and green springs. You mentioned it was for the TCC solenoid. However, when viewing the pictures of the soloenoids, it showed no washer. Where does the washer go?

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
In response to Hessu's question, the effect of the Sonnax part for the manual valve os to center the rod in the hole in the valve, which can become elongated and allow slop in the manual valve position. With the addition of the Sonnax part the positioning is positive and there is no slop. It does not act as a "limiter" as you mention..

tuckman

Reaction score
City, State
Elk Point, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XLT
I am done installing the transgo kit and have a question.
The instructions from the transgo kit say to add a 5th check ball. After opening my transtec overhaul kit to get my gaskets out. I read the supplied reading from ATSG and it states that there is three types of valve body designs (one more than the shift kit says) and not to add the 5th ball. The difference is the reverse engagement valve and mine has it, it is out of a 95 Aerostar. I am ready to put the thing back into the trans and get it ready for the 92 Ex.
So what would you do, add the ball or not?

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Call TransGo, they usually answer their tech lines. Ask them about that other VB type.

tuckman

Reaction score
City, State
Elk Point, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XLT
Thank you for the picture. That is a nice piece of information to have.
After searching "checkball" I finally got an answer. For 4.0's use only 4 balls, as per ATSG manual (pic was included). I still will call TransGo just to see what their opinion is on the subject. I will post their suggestion when I get it.

On a side note...
I called a local transmission shop today looking for the 5th ball and the guy gave me a bag with 6 brown balls in it. My transmission had black balls in it and they were the same size as the others but softer. I went with the original ones but I am wondering if there really would be much of a difference.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

tuckman

Reaction score
City, State
Elk Point, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XLT
Called TransGo and the tech was very sure about adding the checkaball, especially when drilling the separator plate out to .089. If I didn't drill it out I think I would have left the ball out.

BrooklynBay

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.