• Register Today It's free!

Valve cover gaskets

msilver

Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph Il. Carbondale Il.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
my valve cover gaskets on my 4.0 seep a little bit, plan on changing them here pretty soon. i'm gonna clean them up and re-paint them while there off. I have on question while i was looking at gaskets they have 2 types rubber and cork
will the rubber ones seal better and not leak again? they are about 10 bucks more. I was told once that cork works good with aluminum covers and rubber works better with metal ones. true? false? are the rubbers a waste of money? just looking for a little feed back.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally, I like the rubber valve cover gaskets. When we did the rebuild on our 4.0 ohv we got a rubber set from Ford and love it.

~Mark

Have you seen the neoprene gaskets for the valve covers?

I built a new engine for my X earlier this summer and used the neoprene gasket set for the valve covers... They are not cheap[ ~$35] but they hold torque and do not leak period...

BTW are you still using the reinforcement metal washers around each valve cover bolt? I have seen that valve covers without those will leak even with the bolts torqued down no matter with gaskets are being used...

And whichever set I use I coat them on both sides with Permatex non hardening sealer just to be safe...When I had to remove the covers, the gaskets and the sealer came right off and didn't stick to the cover or the head...

The only valve cover gasket sets I'd suggest would be either the rubber set from Ford, or the FelPro Perma-Dry Plus. Cork gaskets have no place in this application.

The Fel-Pro is the latest gasket tech, seals good, and is available at almost any parts store for a good price. The Ford gaskets seem to get rave reviews, and can be had at some dealers for close to what the Fel-Pros cost depending on how nice you are to the person at the counter and how much of a deal they're willing to give.

alright i'll go with the rubber ones, and i'll look for those washers, i have never took the valve covers off so i didn't get rid of the washers but some else may have

my valve cover gasket set on my 4.0 seep a little bit, plan on changing them here pretty soon. i'm gonna clean them up and re-paint them while there off. I have on question while i was looking at gaskets they have 2 types rubber and cork
will the rubber ones seal better and not leak again? they are about 10 bucks more. I was told once that cork works good with aluminum covers and rubber works better with metal ones. true? false? are the rubbers a waste of money? just looking for a little feed back.

thanks
I use rubber if I'm using cast valve covers and cork if I'm doing stamped steel covers.

Thanks also for all your infos. You helped me decide to get rubber ones for them Valve Covers. Thanks!

I will buy them from a local dealer here. I found these oem Valve Cover Gasket Set for contribution.

Ive actually got Fel-Pro's cork version. They dont leak, hold together and to be honest, not that bad of a price.

My cork gaskets only lasted about 5 years. Im also looking to do new gaskets, lower and upper intake as well tho. I seen in some of the above posts about washers for the bolts on the v/covers. Mine dont have them.....what type would work. Just a simple washer from the hardware store?

Back