• Register Today It's free!

valve cover gaskets

toughguy

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2ford explorers 1999 2000
my sons 2002 explorer xlt, 141000miles V6, sohc is leaking oil at the rear valve cover gaskets and leaking onto the exhaust manifolds, is this a hard job to do ? he's going to auto school and this will be a great project to do with him. any tricks to get this job done? thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've changed the valve cover gaskets on my late production '01 SOHC engine (it's a Job 2, so it should be the same as yours).

It wasn't exactly an "easy job" because of all the stuff you have to remove to get at the valve cover bolts and then you have to get everything that's in the way of removing them off. Even then it's a wrestling match. I took my time and did one side one day and the other the next (I didn't need to drive the vehicle, so I wasn't trying to get the job done in a single day). As I recall, the rear valve cover bolts were a bit tricky to get at, because you're working blind and I had to use a long 1/4" extension with a swivel joint.

On a scale if 1-10 (10 being the most difficult) I'd rate the job about a 7, mostly because of all the stuff I had to remove. Thank goodness the gaskets sit in a channel in the valve cover, so they stay put during re-installation.

Tips:
The PCV on the Job 2 engine is located in the rear of the driver's side valve cover. It also has a cooling tube wrapped around it to add to the degree of difficulty in removing it. The PCV valve MUST be unscrewed a 1/4 turn to remove it. It may help to squirt some WD40 on the cooling tube to allow the valve to turn more easily.

I found that I had to disconnect the fuel line from the driver's side fuel rail to get the clearance needed to wrestle the valve cover off. Be very careful not to damage the green O-ring that seals the fuel line in the fuel rail. Reinstall it with some Valvoline to make sure it goes in all the way and straight. If you damage the O-ring (like I did) you'll find that Ford will only sell you a $200+ replacement fuel line, as the O-ring is not available separately (which is ridiculous!). I was lucky enough to find an fuel injector O-ring that worked in a buddy's junk pile.

It's not on the 4.0 OHV or any other car I've worked on, but I haven't worked on the SOHC. Tell him to get access to the Haynes or Chilton's manual just in case there's anything he hadn't thought of, but otherwise it's pretty straightforward. Get Felpro Permadry gaskets and follow the instructions regarding when and where to use RTV sealant. Torque the cover bolts to spec. Don't pry the valve covers off b/c you can do some damage. If it's stuck, try gently tapping it with a rubber mallet. You might find a block of wood makes it easier to apply shock to the right place to get the cover unstuck.

It's not on the 4.0 OHV or any other car I've worked on, but I haven't worked on the SOHC. Tell him to get access to the Haynes or Chilton's manual just in case there's anything he hadn't thought of, but otherwise it's pretty straightforward. Get Felpro Permadry gaskets and follow the instructions regarding when and where to use RTV sealant. Torque the cover bolts to spec. Don't pry the valve covers off b/c you can do some damage. If it's stuck, try gently tapping it with a rubber mallet. You might find a block of wood makes it easier to apply shock to the right place to get the cover unstuck.

The SOHC is nothing like the OHV V6 (or V8) in regard to the valve cover gaskets. You do not need a sealant to do the job. I did not find a repair manual was necessary. Then again I hate using repair manuals and I can usually figure out how to do relatively simple jobs.

thanks everybody, will update when completed. happy new year !!

Back