• Register Today It's free!

Valve Gasket replacement

coreman23

Reaction score
City, State
Big Bear, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I've searched for a while and haven't found any information on replacing the valve gasket. I have a fairly good oil leak that I'd like to fix so I can park in my driveway again.

I haven't found a good tutorial, but I do have a Haynes manual and it looks like something I can do myself.

From what I can tell, I need some silicon sealant (is this RTV?), a torque wrench and that is about it?

Any tips from anybody that has done it?

I did buy some gaskets a while back, but bought the cork ones, so those are going back (did find out about that while searching) and I'll be getting the upgraded ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IF your getting the rubber valve cover gaskets you won't need rtv..

You need to move the coil pack but I think that is the only part that is the way of removing/installing the covers, other than maybe a hose or wire..

~Mark

Yea.. thats a very complete set of instructions.. I never go quite that far when sealing it but it better to do it complete.

~Mark

Use a torque wrench when putting bck together. Check the bolt pattern and torque specs.

Use a torque wrench when putting bck together. Check the bolt pattern and torque specs.

I do need to pick up a torque wrench. I was thinking of just going to HF and getting one, you think that will be ok?

Is there anything else I should go ahead while I am in there?

I'm busy this weekend, but looking forward to getting to this by next weekend.

I do need to pick up a torque wrench. I was thinking of just going to HF and getting one, you think that will be ok?

Is there anything else I should go ahead while I am in there?

I'm busy this weekend, but looking forward to getting to this by next weekend.

I just wanted to bump this again to see if I should do any more work while I'm replacing the valve cover gaskets.

One last bump as I'm going to start tearing into this this afternoon. I'll take some pics as I haven't been able to find any from all my searches. Seems as though it should be pretty easy though.

The only other real work you could do while the valve cover is off is to replace the rocker arm assemblies and the push rods. That will normally take care of valve ticking issues as the push rods and rocker arms will wear. Rarely will the tick be caused by lifters.

its $180 or so for a set of pushrods and rocker arm assemblies from DeltaCams.

otherwise, the only thing I would do while doing valve covers is to check/replace the pcv and check/replace any iffy vacuum lines.

~Mark

The only other real work you could do while the valve cover is off is to replace the rocker arm assemblies and the push rods. That will normally take care of valve ticking issues as the push rods and rocker arms will wear. Rarely will the tick be caused by lifters.

its $180 or so for a set of pushrods and rocker arm assemblies from DeltaCams.

otherwise, the only thing I would do while doing valve covers is to check/replace the pcv and check/replace any iffy vacuum lines.

~Mark

Thanks, I appeciate the help. Hopefully I won't have any issues, if I do, I'll post here.

Ok, I spent a couple of hours and finally got the passenger side valve cover off. I can see why it leaks, you can see from the picture below, a piece is stuck, the rest of the gasket is stuck to the valve cover.

The only issue I have is that I can not find the washer that sits closest to the firewall on the passenger side. This was the hardest bolt to remove, but I thought I was careful and I didn't hear it fall off, I just removed the bolt and it was gone. The corner washers look the same, so I'm assuming I can just find a corner washer and replace it? I'm heading to a couple of auto stores today to see if I can find a match.

Where the old gasket is still attached, is it ok to use a razor blade to remove it?

Here is the pic:
IMG_0075b.JPG

It's fine to use a flat razor blade. Be sure not to cut that hose on the left though. Ya never know what that might cause! ha:thumbsup:

How long did it take you to change the gasket? I know on some fords, like the mercury Topaz, it only take about 30 mins.

Ok, I went to search for this valve cover washer, turns out it's called a valve cover hold down, but they don't have anything close to what I have. They have some that look like they could work, but they are a little thinner, so I don't know if I can use them or not.

I'm going to go ahead and remove the driver side to see how much easier it will be. If it is easier, I'll use a tie down from that side to finish the passenger. Hopefully by then I'll get some input on what I can use on the one I'm missing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Ummmm, yeah, that driver side isn't any easier. I finally got to all the bolts, but I don't see any way to maneuver it out of there. I'm taking a frustration break, I"ll post back more in a few.

Whats in the way on the drivers side? I don't remember running into anything other than vacuum hoses and plug wires which are easy to remove/reinstall.

the Valve cover hold down is just a washer that is spread out some.. If you found another one about the same size it will work just fine (thinner is ok).. Those bolts aren't really holding anything together.. they are just holding the valve cover down and you are trying to get equal pressure around the edge which the hold downs help.

~Mark

I'll post some pics tomorrow with what I am struggling with the driver's side. I accidentally knocked some vacuum lines off and will need help finding what goes where.

all the vacuum lines go to the vacuum tree on the upper intake.. that will be easy to take care of...

~Mark

I didn't get a chance to get to the explorer yesterday, I'll update tonight.

I got busy and haven't had a chance to work on the Ex. I did finally get the passenger side back in and everything on that side put back together. I probably won't be able to get to the driver's side until next week. I'll post more when I have more update info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, finally got to the driver's side and got it back installed. I have a problem at the vacuum tree though. I have an extra port and I can not find the missing hose. I also need to double check that I have each hose at the right place. Here is a close picture:

IMG_0184b.jpg

The missing input is circled in red. A larger version is available here if you can't quite see it:
http://www.foggaming.com/ftp/cory/Explorer pics/IMG_0184a.jpg

Here is a view a little further back:
IMG_0185b.jpg

And the larger image if that doesn't work:
http://www.foggaming.com/ftp/cory/Explorer pics/IMG_0185.JPG

If you can't quite tell, I can take better pics.

Thanks!!!!

Back