valve stem tpms | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

valve stem tpms

Snakehn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
I remember seeing in a thread someone saying you could use valve stem mounted tpms on an 06 explorer, can anybody confirm that? I just got a set of the OEM 20"s and will be replacing all the tpms and I would rather pick those sensors than the wheel mounted ones with the band.

Thanks a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I remember seeing in a thread someone saying you could use valve stem mounted tpms on an 06 explorer, can anybody confirm that? I just got a set of the OEM 20"s and will be replacing all the tpms and I would rather pick those sensors than the wheel mounted ones with the band.

Thanks a lot.

Yes you can, I run the stem type on my 2008.

I think there is a brand that does out TPMS-3 type, but be careful. It seems the greater mechanic community is a bit retarded when it comes to our trucks and TPMS. I just went through a large pain in the a$$ as noted in this write-up over on the stock side:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376815

yep you can have the valve stem tpms installed i got all four done.
do to all the bands being broke on mine. just make sure they install
the right sensor or can get them ordered for you. so they will sync

just bought a 2006 ford explorer xlt 4.6 to replace my 2005
chevy crew cab colorado. 78,980 on the x when i bought
it. 2 months ago.

Hey I am a technician at a ford dealer. At a glance this does not seem possible as we have had issues with parts giving us the wrong sensors for vehicles during our winter safety package blowout. The wrong sensors would NOT train. For example the vehicle used a TPMS-12 sensor(valve stem) and we were given (not sure what part number lol) but another frequency valve stem type and they would NOT train. As long as you have the correct frequency sensors and your TPMS module will accept the activation initialization procedure then you'll be fine. These conversion sensors must be aftermarket ??????

cheers

Yeah, they are aftermarket. Hey, quick question, what do you guys use at the dealership to train them? Is it that little FOB looking thing with one button?

i was looking at them on ebay and i found some "Orange" brand and "dorman" that they claim they work on the 06 explorers, is that the same one you guys are using?
also, is this TPMS-3 a frequency or type to be compatible with?

I have the orange sensors for my winter wheel set. When my summer wheels need new tires next time ill be swapping the oem band sensors out for the orange's. Really happy with them and @ less than $100 for a set of 4, hard to beat.

I have the orange sensors for my winter wheel set. When my summer wheels need new tires next time ill be swapping the oem band sensors out for the orange's. Really happy with them and @ less than $100 for a set of 4, hard to beat.

but your vehicle is a 2010 right? mine is a 2006 but i guess they should work fine too. did you have any issues when you first paired them with your truck?

also found some ITM branded ones that they claim they work fine with the 06 explorer, anybody using those?

lastly, where did you find those Orange ones for less than $100?

I just checked the vendor I bought them from on Ebay.. I paid $108 shipped about 2 months ago, now the price is up to ~ $130 ish, so it looks like price has gone up a bit. still much cheaper than any OEM sensors, and I'd even pay more for the valve stem kind than the band style too..

Back