• Register Today It's free!

Valve train noise after rebuild

RADIOACTIVE_TOOL_SHED___

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro north Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford explorer xlt
Thought it was my fuel injectors but it's actually valve train ticking I have new rockers push rods and lifters, mechanic told me it should go away after awhile but I don't think it will? How do I tell which part is faulty? Really hope it's not the new lifters,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you pump up the lifters before installing by allowing them to soak in oil and then operating the plunger with a pushrod to move oil into them?

I don't know, machine shop put it together I'll call and ask, do you think it just needs to break in? It only does it after the engine warms up perfectly quite when cold

When I did my top end rebuild I did soak the lifters and I had extra noise. I drained the oil and replaced a quart with Lucas oil stabilizer and the problem went away within a minute of running, it sticks to everything. It could be the friction points didn't get assembly lube and got traditional oil which may have not been sufficient if it sat after.
If you're mechanically savvy you can pull the valve covers and add the stabilizer to the rockers, rods, and lifters.

Good luck

If the motor was run to warm oil would be everywhere it needed to be. Otherwise, you wouldn’t get 50 miles out of it.

If the motor was run to warm oil would be everywhere it needed to be. Otherwise, you wouldn’t get 50 miles out of it.
It's been driven 100 miles it doesn't do it when it's cold only once it completely warms up I don't understand why tho

Back