Vehicle Speed Sensor Wire 1995 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vehicle Speed Sensor Wire 1995 Explorer XLT

spankedmonkey

Reaction score
City, State
Ypsilanti Twsp., Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
So I have a 95' XLT 4x4 and I'm installing a Pioneer Avic-F900BT head unit. I need to locate the vehicle speed sensor wire-VSS for the navigation. Where is this located?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Location of the PCM unit is on the firewall at the top, near the windscreen. On RHD Explorers it's on the LHS...I think it's on the opposite side for LHD Explorers...clear as mud? I guess I could have just said passenger side for both configurations...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162444

enjoy...

BK

Auto trans ECM pin out. Pin #3 & #6.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Depending on if yours is a manual or auto trans, the VSS circuit is located in the trans harness.

Manual--VSS is pin #'s 12 (676 - pk/o) & 16 (679 + gy/pk).
Auto----VSS is pin #'s 5 (676 - pk/o) & 6 (679 + gy/pk).

The VSS is located on the Transfer case. You could splice into it from there, but I would make sure it is a solder connection.

AllData link for everything on your EX.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/10112665/95-Explorer-Diagrams

Good Luck! :salute:

I have an automatic so does this mean splice at the #3 or #6, or both? Thanks guys!

Pin #3 (circuit #679) (gy/pk) is the positive side, on the ECM. I imagine you need that one for the HU, but look at the wire harness & instructions to see if you need both. Pin #6 on the trans harness is circuit #679. This connection is at the engine harness that is located above the trans, where it meets the back of the engine.

Thanks I'll try #3 (circuit #679) and post results soon.

Back