Venom 400

little x

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
SW VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XL
Ok, first off, don't tell me to do a search. I did that and there hasn't been a post on this subject in the last 4 years. All previous posts are some what like this one: ie does this thing work?

Previously no one who posted has tried this. Some one said it worked great in Camero's. Someone else said it didn't do $hit in a Probe.

Does it work on an X? The main reason I'm curious is I have a lot of mods, so I would need a custom chip, and those run $100-$200 more then this modual.

So: has anyone tried it out in the last 4 years?

I would think that the spark advance alone maybe worth it, since no one makes an ignition controle modual for our trucks. And I think it would be nice to have a programer that only engages when I mash the throttle, instead of alwayse burning more gas, like a chip would.

BTW, my engine mods are: Cold air snorkel, K&N filter, Vortech MAF, BBK TB, 20 over bore, teflon coated pistons, Compcam's 410 camshaft, Compcam's dual valve springs, Smith bro's custom pushrods, Bocsh fuel injectors, Pacesetter headers, Dynomax 2.25" cat-back, 200 amp alt, big-3 wire upgrade, and removed AC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would not do. i read 52 reviews and it seems like it only works on 4 banger stock engines. one guy put his car on a dyno and he actually lost 1hp. i would save up for a nos kit they cant cost too much more $300 and nos has been proven to work

littlex- the votech mass air flow senor you have is the 73mm correct? i was thinkin about gettin this to increase air flow since the stock on is only 55mm. But does it work on stock injectors or aftermarket? and does it do anything?

Yes, 73 mm. It uses the stock sensor. I am running aftermarket injectors, but they are still 19 lbs (stock size) they just have a finer spray. So your injectors will be fine. Just the MAF by itself won't do much if anything. But when you use a BBK throttle body and the MAF it really adds quite a bit of umph. More so then just the TB.

ok thanks man, right now i have a full k/n custom intake, 66mm bbk, hollowed cats, and flowmaster 2 1/2" exhaust. I want to add a asp crank pulley, 73maf, and heddman headers...i think with those mods and my 4.56s ill be gettin up to speed pretty good

You have all that air flow possibility, and a small little bottle-neck MAF, it will def. help you out a lot.

When you hollowed your cats did you notice a big loss in low end? I'm considering doing this, but I'm afraid of power loss at low rpm's.

I have 4.56's sitting on the floor 7 feet behind me, I can't wait to get them in!

the only reason i hollowed my cats is because they were dead, i really didnt feel a difference, but it sounds a hell of alot better, and i still have a ton of back pressure.

4.56 gears are soo nice when i got these i also got new beefier l/s in the front and rear, these made a huge differnece, when turning right or left at a stop sign all you have to do is mash the gas and itll kick the rear.. hell i can almost do donuts on DRY pavement(my performance goal haha)

Back