Vent control issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vent control issue

efsnyg56

Reaction score
On my '03 explorer my vent control dial is not working. When I switch to floor only or defrost, the air still blows out of the face vents. Any ideas on an at home solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

>>>>>>>>
On my '03 explorer my vent control dial is not working. When I switch to floor only or defrost, the air still blows out of the face vents. Any ideas on an at home solution?
>>>>>>>>>>

You either have a vent control knob "vacuum line" disconnected by accident causing a specific vent not to work, or your "air recirculation door" has fallen off it's hinge points in the air box and is laying on top of your blower box housing, blocking the air flow from your blower to your dash vents. This air recirc door doesn't block all the air flow to all vents, just to some of them. Both can be found behind the glove box. The vacuum lines you'll have to trace to see if one came loose and the air recirc door requires 4 screws to be removed from the air box and seperate the air box halves and then you pull out the failed air recirc door that is laying loosely at the bottom of the air box. Your blower air flow will be restored to normal after the air recirc door is removed. There are past posts in this forum on both subjects. I did mine 2 weeks ago.

IN the heat or defrost mode on my 2004 explorer i only get air coming out of the dash vents .no defrost vent or floor vent air flow.What' s the fix for this?

On my 2004 ford explorer my automatic transmission hard shifts frequently and also slips out of gear periodically.do i need a transmission overhaul?th transmission has about 124000 miles on it.

IN the heat or defrost mode on my 2004 explorer i only get air coming out of the dash vents .no defrost vent or floor vent air flow.What' s the fix for this?

Open your glove box, press its sides in allowing you to fully pull it out so that it hangs toward the ground.
Using a flashlight, look in the opening and up toward the radio. You'll see a vacuum actuator. Turn the vent knob from Defrost to floor etc. you'll most likely find that the vacuum arm moves in and out but is no longer attached to the door.

On my 2004 ford explorer my automatic transmission hard shifts frequently and also slips out of gear periodically.do i need a transmission overhaul?th transmission has about 124000 miles on it.

You need to start a stand-alone thread for this issue. Chances are that no one will look to an HVAC thread to help with tranny issues.

Open your glove box, press its sides in allowing you to fully pull it out so that it hangs toward the ground.
Using a flashlight, look in the opening and up toward the radio. You'll see a vacuum actuator. Turn the vent knob from Defrost to floor etc. you'll most likely find that the vacuum arm moves in and out but is no longer attached to the door.

Will the button controlled vents look the same behind the glove box? Mine has button control / dual climate control and it make a lot of air but barely comes out of defrost?
Thanks

No, yours is different, as I've been told. Have not looked for myself. I believe most of your issues reside in the electronic brain.

Back