Very wierd prob; truck won't start now, HELP! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Very wierd prob; truck won't start now, HELP!

I wish I had seen this sooner, that's usually the first place I send people (the cables, especially inside corrosion)...

Don't waste your time or money on new terminals, replace the entire cable. It's most likely badly corroded inside where you can't even see how bad it is.

That will eliminate that issue. I'm not completely convinced that you don't have other electrical issues, but you have to start with replacing that positive cable. It will only cause more problems over time. It would be best to replace the negative cables at the same time.

As for the other potential problems, I would continue to do a real check of the system with the meter, as others have mentioned. I would also not be trusting the remote system at this point. Better to get all this sorted out now, rather than be stranded somewhere down the line.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes.

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also i would like to add if ..now if , you have to replace the starter /alt/ etc...

i would not goto auto zone or advance to buy them...goto napa.when it comes those types of high wear items napa has always had better quality stuff than the other places .when it comes to wheel bearings,pumps,alt,starters i have always bought napa ....yeah it may cost you a little more but which would you feel better with ...a remanufactured starter for a little less and be in questionable performance or spend a little more and get a new one thats going to last longer if not better than the one that came with the truck from the factory ? ...but i also know that money is a big concern now days so buy what you can afford i can relate with that ( you got to do with what you got ) .

that is if you have to replace those items due to your problems .auto zone and advance i will goto to replace sensors /brake pads / shoes/ etc... because they sell about the same quality stuff that napa can sell for ,but any thing else -----> napa .

.....just thowing that info out there just incase you have to replace anything like that :)

I wish I had seen this sooner, that's usually the first place I send people (the cables, especially inside corrosion)...

Don't waste your time or money on new terminals, replace the entire cable. It's most likely badly corroded inside where you can't even see how bad it is.

That will eliminate that issue. I'm not completely convinced that you don't have other electrical issues, but you have to start with replacing that positive cable. It will only cause more problems over time. It would be best to replace the negative cables at the same time.

As for the other potential problems, I would continue to do a real check of the system with the meter, as others have mentioned. I would also not be trusting the remote system at this point. Better to get all this sorted out now, rather than be stranded somewhere down the line.

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes.

Mike

I was considering replacing the cable too. It doesn't look like it would be really hard to do, but I've read some threads here that say it's not really a simple task for some reason. After inspecting my factory cable, it is kind of different that what I assumed it was like. When I go out and get new cables, are they going to include the one that goes to the relay/solenoid AND the one that goes to the starter? I also noticed a very small, thin, red cable that is grouped into the protective sleeving of the positive cable, it goes from the fender panel (where the battery cable goes to) down into the engine bay somewhere, I didn't trace it down (alternator?). I mention it because it's exposed where the positive battery terminal is and the insulation is wore off and bare wire is exposed a bit. What is this cable and should I replace it too? Also, what best length cable to use? I saw some 46" ones at advanced the other night when I was there getting my battery, that long enough? There any specific brand/type I should look for? Thanks a lot, Mike. Appreciate all the input!

Oh, and Boggs, the closest store to me is a Napa store, so that's were I get all my parts by default anyway, hah. The only reason I got the battery at Advanced and was there was because my old battery could be pro-rated by them and they were the only place that could test my starter. I rarely ever get stuff there. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

It's been a while, so I'm a little foggy on the details, but I think the negative cable runs from the battery to the solenoid, then a separate one runs to the engine. The positive cable runs from the battery to the starter. I think the small gauge wire goes to the sonenoid.

In any case, all of these wires (except the small gauge wire that is part of one of the big cables) is a separate part and needs to be purchased separately.

The pain is the the positive cable. The length is somewhere between 60 and 72 inches. It runs down the passenger side, then over to the starter (on the drivers side). It shouldn't be difficult if you're replacing the starter anyway. It's not a 15-minute job though because of all the crap in the way.

To be safe, do a search here to confirm this info.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I'm suprised someone hasn't recommended checking the aftermarket remote start system. I've heard of a few problems with aging aftermarktet starters, mostly because of crappy installation.

I think its got something to do with the "theft deterrent". Is there a way of disabling your remote starter temporarily to check?

I suggested the remote starter on page one. I'm still not convinced that it isn't part of the problem.

??? Several of us mentioned that...

Hopefully that's not it, because being an aftermarket item that someone else installed, makes troubleshooting (or even bypassing) all sorts of fun...

Mike

Thanks a lot, guys. I'm pretty sure the remote starter is not at fault for any of it now. After playing around with the positive battery terminal and cleaning some of the corrosion off of it, the truck starts almost every time now, even with the remote starter. I'm gonna pick up the cables sometime this week and put'em in. I'm not replacing the starter, it's still good, I just put the old one back in after getting it tested.

So you got the 71" cables, tbars? Did they have much/too much slack in them after running to the starter? I'm going to the Napa store this week so if you recommend them, those are the exact cables I'll get. Thanks again for all the help!

...I had to just verify with napaonline.com since the 91 and 94 X are similar but different..;)

Positive cable Item#: CBL717993
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...r=717993&Description=Battery+Cable+-+Positive
631838.jpg

...Negative cable Item#: CBL717991
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...r=717991&Description=Battery+Cable+-+Negative
853414.jpg

Note: there is a problem on the wording of the negative cable on that link (it says positive)...Those are the exact items for my 91 and they show for the 94 also, so it's good info..After searching for mine, those were the BEST cables I have found to date..:biggthump

Those look right.

For best results (and less run-around), it's always best to pull the old parts, bring them with you, open up the new ones and match them up before you pay. That way, you don't get a bait-and-switch, incorrectly labelled part, etc. (guess how I know)...

Sounds like you're on the way to being on the mend. Sucks that something so simple can take you out for a week. This (internal cable corrosion) is an extremely, extremely common issue on these trucks. Let us know how you make out.

Mike

It can't get no better than this! What a wealth of info, thanks guys:cool:!!!!!
...I had to just verify with napaonline.com since the 91 and 94 X are similar but different..;)

Positive cable Item#: CBL717993
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...r=717993&Description=Battery+Cable+-+Positive
631838.jpg

...Negative cable Item#: CBL717991
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...r=717991&Description=Battery+Cable+-+Negative
853414.jpg

Note: there is a problem on the wording of the negative cable on that link (it says positive)...Those are the exact items for my 91 and they show for the 94 also, so it's good info..After searching for mine, those were the BEST cables I have found to date..:biggthump

Hah, used my link, eh? I'm actually about to change my cable out today, I picked it up last night. I've been driving around with my busted one for a few weeks now, hah. Luckily it hasn't acted up on my anymore, I guess since I hosed it down with WD-40, :D

Certainly did, and it was extremely informative. I am going to pick up those cables tommorow, thanks again Forder!
Hah, used my link, eh? I'm actually about to change my cable out today, I picked it up last night. I've been driving around with my busted one for a few weeks now, hah. Luckily it hasn't acted up on my anymore, I guess since I hosed it down with WD-40, :D

Back