Truck won't start after cleaning battery terminals | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck won't start after cleaning battery terminals

duke16

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L AWD XLT
After cleaning my battery terminals earlier today my truck will no longer start. It just ticks when I turn the key. I've taken the terminals back off and tried putting them back on, I've taken the cables that go into them out and put them back in. Everything looks like it has a good contact. I've checked the relevant fuses, I think, they all seem fine. The battery should be charged, the lights are all working fine. I've jump started, which works fine, and driven it around to charge it but once I turn it off I can't turn the engine over again. The alternator has been replaced recently and so has the starter. Also when the car is started the battery gauge is normal, so I'm assuming the alternator is fine. And is the alternator even needed to start the truck? All I can think is the starter is dead but would I be hearing the ticking sound if it were? Can anyone think of anything else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say you need to check the alternator again, it's not charging it when the car is on. Either that or you have something grounding out, you need to check your current draw with the car off, somethings killing your battery, good luck!

I think there's a loose connection.

How many volts are you getting from the battery with no load? A weak battery can cause it to click.. So can a bad connection or bad wires. The 1st generation wiring are known for going bad internally. Might want to consider replacing your stock cables on your truck.

"I've jump started, which works fine, and driven it around to charge it but once I turn it off I can't turn the engine over again."

Ok so the battery juice isn't a) enough to make it start; b) or getting past the terminals into the wiring that you connect to with the jumper cables..

You cleaned the posts, terminals/sockets.

What's left?

{hint, assuming you did a decent job of cleaning such that there is not a ton of corrosive resistance... THAT BATTERY! ok ok SLIGHT, VERY slight, chance the starter needs more juice than one battery can provide}

Could I plug in the jumper cable from the battery to the starter thing that is located on the passenger side to the body? It's where the red cable goes into and then I'm assuming to the starter. Would that work so I could rule out that cable at least?

Assuming you hooked the jumper cables to the battery terminals... the problem in that case is not cables....you could go for a while using jumper cables..... but I strongly suspect you have a dying battery .. you may wish to recheck your cleaning... but ..... and yes Ex cables are notorious for disintegration... but yours carries the jumper batt current... so are probably ok.

Right, that's a good point. It's fine when I jump start so the cables should be good. And it starts fine, so the starter should be good. Perhaps when I was cleaning something sparked and damaged the battery in some way. I'll take it it to test a Walmart tomorrow.

Turned out it was the battery, replaced it and it's all working fine now. A little odd how it went bad right after I was cleaning it, I guess I must have done something to it inadvertently. Oh well, thanks for your help guys.

hi i am no expert but i had a similar problem with a probe i owned. and it was the imobalizer. and i beleive the same alarm and imobalizer is on the explorer.

its just a thought but check it out!!!

Back