• Register Today It's free!

Vibration on my new explorer 2017

Goteeam

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017, XLT
Hello,

I hope this post finds you well,
I got new stock 2017 explorer XLT, and i noticed passenger and second row seats are vibrating

The driving wheel is not vibrating, so from 30 km the seats start vibrating if no body is sitting on it and because it’s leather seats it make a noise,

Took it to ford and the confirmed the car is okay but two tires has a flat spot, I have 20” tires and changed it already and the vibration still there took it back to ford they are confirming the vibration but they blame the tires again !! They balanced it again but the issue still there I believe it has nothing to do with the tires

Any recommendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I heard Hankook's tires were prone to flat spotting and that Hankook would warranty them if unusual wear presents itself.

That is strange that the steering wheel doesn't vibrate but your seats do. Does it squeak? Maybe condition the leather?

I heard Hankook's tires were prone to flat spotting and that Hankook would warranty them if unusual wear presents itself.

That is strange that the steering wheel doesn't vibrate but your seats do. Does it squeak? Maybe condition the leather?

Hankook did change the two tires that had flat spot
For the leather seats it makes a sound because of the vibration so the passenger seat vibrate with no sound but the second row makes a sound and when i look back and touch it i feel the vibration so the main concern is not the sound it is the vibration

Well it still could be rim or tire related. Are they road force balancing the tires. Also why don't you try moving tires around to see if anything changes from changing positions. Usually the seat shake is a sign of out of balance

Well it still could be rim or tire related. Are they road force balancing the tires. Also why don't you try moving tires around to see if anything changes from changing positions. Usually the seat shake is a sign of out of balance

Yes they road force balance and this is how they confirmed the old tires flar spot, also they balanced and move tires around

The issue still there and the vibration can be felt with the centeral console arm rest

Now that is a pretty low speed to get vibration from wheel and tires also unless it had a shifted belt but you would feel that worst at low speeds does it get better the faster you go? Maybe it is a drivetrain issue either axle or bearing causing vibration but that would be only other thing I can think of

Now that is a pretty low speed to get vibration from wheel and tires also unless it had a shifted belt but you would feel that worst at low speeds does it get better the faster you go? Maybe it is a drivetrain issue either axle or bearing causing vibration but that would be only other thing I can think of

So for low speed like 10-20 nothing only arm rest you feel the vibration, after that speed the seats vibrate it’s not like crazy vibration but it bathers alot

Put 100 lbs all the way in the back and see if the vibration goes away.

Hello,

I hope this post finds you well,
I got new stock 2017 explorer XLT, and i noticed passenger and second row seats are vibrating

The driving wheel is not vibrating, so from 30 km the seats start vibrating if no body is sitting on it and because it’s leather seats it make a noise,

Took it to ford and the confirmed the car is okay but two tires has a flat spot, I have 20” tires and changed it already and the vibration still there took it back to ford they are confirming the vibration but they blame the tires again !! They balanced it again but the issue still there I believe it has nothing to do with the tires

Any recommendations?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Flat spotting is quite normal on 20" tires, especially if the vehicle has been sitting for a while. Vibrations due to flat spotting usually disappear after a few miles.
Even a perfectly running vehicle will exhibit some vibrations in the unoccupied seats because road vibrations are transmitted through the vehicle. My tires/wheels are perfectly balanced, steering wheel is solid and yet there is still some minor vibration in the passenger seat back.

Peter

We have some vibration when first driven, really noticeable when cold out. I chalk it up to the tires.

It goes away after a few miles of driving.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Flat spotting is quite normal on 20" tires, especially if the vehicle has been sitting for a while. Vibrations due to flat spotting usually disappear after a few miles.
Even a perfectly running vehicle will exhibit some vibrations in the unoccupied seats because road vibrations are transmitted through the vehicle. My tires/wheels are perfectly balanced, steering wheel is solid and yet there is still some minor vibration in the passenger seat back.

Peter

Hi Peter

If this is an issue of 20” then i will then about downgrade to 18” and minor vibration how can i test that because there is a sound so yesterday i installed the baby seat on the top of the second row leather seats and sounds start coming up due to the vibration

Hi Peter

If this is an issue of 20” then i will then about downgrade to 18” and minor vibration how can i test that because there is a sound so yesterday i installed the baby seat on the top of the second row leather seats and sounds start coming up due to the vibration
I use 18" Winter wheels/tires and I notice a bit of flat spotting on them as well when the vehicle has been sitting a few days and it is cold out. Because of a WInter tires more pliable rubber compound, I image it won't be as bad as the OEM tire but I can't say for sure since I don't use the OEM ones in Winter. It's hard to say how long it takes for the flat spotting to disappear since sometimes it depends on the temperature. In most cases I'd guess it takes about 2 miles or so. For me, it isn't really an issue.
On the vehicles I've had, the flat spotting has not created any kind of noise.

Peter

So after how many miles in your case ?
Seems to be around 2-3 miles. The tires seems to be very hard, so they work best when warm.

Back