• Register Today It's free!

Vibrations At 65+ mph

ExcursionMJ

Reaction score
City, State
IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Excursion
Alright so I'm trying to diagnose an issue with my AWD Mountaineer. It's a 2004 with 103,000 miles. When I am driving down the road at anything under 55 mph I do not feel any kind of vibration, but once I hit about 62 I begin to feel the passenger side vibrate. As soon as I hit 65 it becomes much more noticeable and it only gets worse as I go faster. This is not some minor light vibrating in the steering wheel. The whole passenger side vibrates pretty roughly. The best way I can describe it is this way: When you drive down the highway and you hit the rumble strips, it is like that. It's like I'm driving my mountaineer 70 mph down a rumble strip on one side.

I had the tires checked out and two reputable places told me the tires are fine and well balanced. The second place told me that the front passenger side ball joint needs replaced. So I figure I will replace that, but I am told that the ball joint will not cause the vehicle to shake. Now, I am having some issues with the rear differential and I had planned to add some friction modifier and change out the fluid. I also thought about changing the clutch packs. Could this be what is causing the mountaineer to vibrate?

It's a bad vibration. If I put the 3rd row seats up and drive 65 mph the back seats rattle back and forth like crazy. Not lightly, it is very noticeable. Honestly though, I thought for sure it would be some sort of tire issue, and it is not. Does anyone have any leads you could possibly give me? I'd like to get the issue sorted out by the end of the week and definitely by the next two weeks. I'm supposed to take it on a 5 hour one way trip in two weeks.

Edit: A bit more info. I do feel it in the seat, but it's much more pronounced in the passenger side. The passenger side rearview mirror outside vibrates a lot as well once I hit 65 but the inside rear view and driver side rearview don't vibrate. Also again, this is an 2004 All Wheel Drive Mountaineer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would check the wheel bearings. Explorers are notorious for this problem. If the problem seems to be in the rear, I would change the fluid in the rear end and add the friction modifier like you had planned. Check those rear wheel bearings too. I had the same issue with one of my explorers. Those rear bearings are a beach to replace unless you have a press and a lot of patience. The front bearings are not that bad of a job. I seen a bad ball joint cause a vibration that can be felt through the steering wheel, so I would take a look at that too.

Good luck,
bizzs.

I had the same type of vibration in my Expedition when the speed exceeded 65. I had a bad front upper ball joint. After replacing the control arms/ball joints (can't replace just the ball joints) the vibration went away.
I would replace the ball joints first since they need to be done anyway.

I had the same type of vibration in my Expedition when the speed exceeded 65. I had a bad front upper ball joint. After replacing the control arms/ball joints (can't replace just the ball joints) the vibration went away.
I would replace the ball joints first since they need to be done anyway.

This is odd, because as I said, I've been told replacing them won't change any vibration. But I know for a fact they need changed, so I will give it a shot to see if it at least helps the issue and/or hopefully solves it.

I just called a good shop here in Bloomington and they said ball joints if they are bad enough will definitely cause a bad vibration. I'm going in Friday for a free inspection to see what all they say is wrong with the car.

I am having similar problems. It seems more apparent when I let off the accelerator. I tried U joints thinking that might help but it did not. Let me know what you come up with. FYI its NOT ball joints if its the same vibration I'm having.

I'm interested in how this comes out, too - I have a very similar problem (maybe a bit less violent shaking in mine - but it's at the exact same speed). Mine's a 2002 XLT with the 4.0L and 3.73 LSD (D4). Now if I get to about 80 or so, it seems to stop - or at least lessen considerably - ?

I've been told my front suspension is OK - and I changed out the fluid in my rear diff, added a double shot of friction modifier last weekend - it seems to be less noisy and smoother back there - but I haven't been back on the interstate yet. I sure didn't see a quart and a half come out of the drain plug, either, btw.

So... I'm curious to see how this works out for the OP. Subscribing to thread.

Yeah, your ball joints have to be so bad before they will begin to cause a vibration. So just because your ball joints need changed, doesn't mean it will cause a vibration. Anyways, I am heading into the shop tomorrow, so I will for sure keep you guys updated as best I can. I have a whole list of things I think it could be:

Drive Shaft
Clutch Pack
Wheel Bearings
Bad Ball Joint
Axle

We'll see tomorrow though.

I just changed out front wheel bearing, upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods and brakes-rotors. The front end was aligned and everything appeared to be good while driving in the city. I took the explorer out on the highway tonight and there is a humming vibration when I exceed 65 mph. All of the replacement parts installed are quality brands. The bearings are timken and no play. Could this be the CV axle joints causing the vibration or humming noise? I had the same noise prior to replacing these parts and it seems that the sound is louder coming from the front, but may be coming from the back. I seen no play in the rear bearings, and they are still factory. Any input?

I'm interested in how this comes out, too - I have a very similar problem (maybe a bit less violent shaking in mine - but it's at the exact same speed). Mine's a 2002 XLT with the 4.0L and 3.73 LSD (D4). Now if I get to about 80 or so, it seems to stop - or at least lessen considerably - ?

I've been told my front suspension is OK - and I changed out the fluid in my rear diff, added a double shot of friction modifier last weekend - it seems to be less noisy and smoother back there - but I haven't been back on the interstate yet. I sure didn't see a quart and a half come out of the drain plug, either, btw.

So... I'm curious to see how this works out for the OP. Subscribing to thread.

Well guys I got it into the shop and the guy was nice enough to come let me take a look undernearth it. The ball joints do not need to be replaced. The guy at the tire shop thought the one was bad, but they are all fine. Like I said, he let me look underneath. Tie rods were fine, ball joints were all fine, but I do have a bad wheel bearing.

Right now I'm looking at replacing the right front wheel hub assembly and the left front axle shaft. I honestly believe replacing these two things is going to fix the vibration for me. But, I will keep you all updated for sure. I hope to do it this week, but my wedding is a week from today. So we will see how that goes.

Also I quoted the post above because I went out on the highway and went above 75. Once I got above 75 it did seem to lessen, so it seems like we're having identical issues.

Alright guys, I replaced the wheel hub assembly with my brother and everything went smoothly. It was way easier than I expected it to be. Now, I can hear a humming and it's much more obvious that my CV-LF axle is messed up. My vibration is much better now though and with a new CV-axle and a new set of tires, I believe my vibration will be gone. I'll keep you updated on it though. My brother is bringing his 2002 Ford Explorer and we're going to swap wheels and tires so I can see if that makes a difference. He has a brand new set of tires.

Check the drive shaft. My Explorer vibrated like crazy going at 60 mph. That was the culprit for me.

Turns out after replacing the front right wheel hub and the back left u-joint everything was good. I took it to a mechanic friend of mine to replace the tires and he noticed the u-joint was toasted. Everything is good for me now.

My take

My 05 Eddie started the rumble strip vibration last week. Have done all 4 wheel bearings so I kinda ruled that out. Had the Drone and severe vibration at 60 mph plus, below that it felt fine, found a bad rear u-joint. There was no clunking or slop while it was in the truck, it all felt tight and right but it was toast. I will post results after a road test, there's 3 inches of fresh snow in NH right now so 60 mph and up is kind of out for the moment. Will keep you posted.

My 05 Eddie started the rumble strip vibration last week. Have done all 4 wheel bearings so I kinda ruled that out. Had the Drone and severe vibration at 60 mph plus, below that it felt fine, found a bad rear u-joint. There was no clunking or slop while it was in the truck, it all felt tight and right but it was toast. I will post results after a road test, there's 3 inches of fresh snow in NH right now so 60 mph and up is kind of out for the moment. Will keep you posted.

Basically the same exact thing for me.

oops

Forgot about this post, the u-joint fixed it yaay. But alas the new issue is the driveshaft weight I threw yesterday, got a temp fix for now (hose clamp trick) till I get a new shaft. :mad:

Alright so I'm trying to diagnose an issue with my AWD Mountaineer. It's a 2004 with 103,000 miles. When I am driving down the road at anything under 55 mph I do not feel any kind of vibration, but once I hit about 62 I begin to feel the passenger side vibrate. As soon as I hit 65 it becomes much more noticeable and it only gets worse as I go faster. This is not some minor light vibrating in the steering wheel. The whole passenger side vibrates pretty roughly. The best way I can describe it is this way: When you drive down the highway and you hit the rumble strips, it is like that. It's like I'm driving my mountaineer 70 mph down a rumble strip on one side.

I had the tires checked out and two reputable places told me the tires are fine and well balanced. The second place told me that the front passenger side ball joint needs replaced. So I figure I will replace that, but I am told that the ball joint will not cause the vehicle to shake. Now, I am having some issues with the rear differential and I had planned to add some friction modifier and change out the fluid. I also thought about changing the clutch packs. Could this be what is causing the mountaineer to vibrate?

It's a bad vibration. If I put the 3rd row seats up and drive 65 mph the back seats rattle back and forth like crazy. Not lightly, it is very noticeable. Honestly though, I thought for sure it would be some sort of tire issue, and it is not. Does anyone have any leads you could possibly give me? I'd like to get the issue sorted out by the end of the week and definitely by the next two weeks. I'm supposed to take it on a 5 hour one way trip in two weeks.

Edit: A bit more info. I do feel it in the seat, but it's much more pronounced in the passenger side. The passenger side rearview mirror outside vibrates a lot as well once I hit 65 but the inside rear view and driver side rearview don't vibrate. Also again, this is an 2004 All Wheel Drive Mountaineer.
After reading all this forum I unhooked front drive axle to separate drive trains. The vibration stopped after doing the “SPARE TIRE SWAP” Do one at a time and retest. Found bad ( Inner) tire separation. After dismounting of coarse.

The wheels binding up stopped once I took front axle off. Found bad trans axle not slipping like it should when 4 WD turns sharp.

Back