• Register Today It's free!

Visor vanity light bulb

sgparnes

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited WMetTr/Pecan
Passenger side visor vanity (mirror) light is out. Dealer service tech said that is a non replaceable item and has to order an entire visor...still under warranty. Tell me that isn't so. For want of a bulb an entire visor? I'm assuming it is a bad bulb, not the wiring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Think someone said it was a TB5. Did you do a search ?

No search, but I will now. Still under warranty, so I'll let the dealer handle it.

It's a T5 bulb. Forget the dealer, go on ebay and order some T5 LEDs for a buck or two shipped, and upgrade the lights yourself and have a much nicer looking light.

I don't understand why the dealer would say I need a new visor when it is a bulb issue. $$$$? Maybe a wiring problem within the visor?

I looked on eBay for T5 bulbs and most of the ones I saw looked different than the picture on this site. They do not have 2 posts on the bulbs. I did see one set that appears to have 2 posts.

I looked on eBay for T5 bulbs and most of the ones I saw looked different than the picture on this site. They do not have 2 posts on the bulbs. I did see one set that appears to have 2 posts.

If it's a T5 LED it has 2 posts, it just may not look like it from how the style some bases are.

these will work but aren't very bright
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-X-Car...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af376f782&vxp=mtr

these will work but won't shine outwards
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-White-3...Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d4d27a3f&vxp=mtr

these will work and are very bright
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-T5-74-5-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19dd534d33&vxp=mtr

Passenger side visor vanity (mirror) light is out. Dealer service tech said that is a non replaceable item and has to order an entire visor...still under warranty. Tell me that isn't so. For want of a bulb an entire visor? I'm assuming it is a bad bulb, not the wiring.
If you check your Owner's Guide, it shows that the visor has a bulb along with what they call a trade number (A6224PF) so it must be replaceable. Doesn't make sense that the entire visor has to be replaced. If you want a brighter light, then you can go with the LED replacements as indicated by Harley#356.

Peter

I took out the entire mirror housing, but could not figure out how to remove the bulb. I didn't want to grab the bulb and pull and didn't see a plastic release of any type.

there's no release clip. the bulb is in there pretty tight. Sometimes a dental pick works well for getting behind the bulb to help pop it out, but make sure the button is pressed to have the lamp off, because if the dental pick shorts the terminals out you'll pop the fuse and it's a ***** to reach the fuse in the fuse box....don't ask how I discovered that one LOL!

Oh and remove the whole mirror from the visor, it's 1 phillips head screw, then the bulb assembly pops off the mirror assembly. Close the mirror assembly to turn the bulb off while you swap it, just dont let it hang by the leads, they break off easily and you'll have to re-solder them. Again don't ask how I found that one out too LOL.

Last tip, and best one I've heard yet, an easy way to get the bulb out with very little to grab on to, get a piece of clear packing tape, and tape the bulb, then you can pull on the tape to pop the bulb out.

there's no release clip. the bulb is in there pretty tight. Sometimes a dental pick works well for getting behind the bulb to help pop it out, but make sure the button is pressed to have the lamp off, because if the dental pick shorts the terminals out you'll pop the fuse and it's a ***** to reach the fuse in the fuse box....don't ask how I discovered that one LOL!

Oh and remove the whole mirror from the visor, it's 1 phillips head screw, then the bulb assembly pops off the mirror assembly. Close the mirror assembly to turn the bulb off while you swap it, just dont let it hang by the leads, they break off easily and you'll have to re-solder them. Again don't ask how I found that one out too LOL.

Last tip, and best one I've heard yet, an easy way to get the bulb out with very little to grab on to, get a piece of clear packing tape, and tape the bulb, then you can pull on the tape to pop the bulb out.
So, when's your 'How To' book on the Explorer coming out? :D:thumbsup:

Peter

So, when's your 'How To' book on the Explorer coming out? :D:thumbsup:

Peter

lol never, I only gave 99% of the information there, I didn't explain how to use a screw driver, or cut the masking tape, or explain which brand tape to buy, so I'm sure some will be along shortly to criticize me for not doing a thorough enough job haha. Sorry a little jab there to the black emblem thread :D

Really though I'd do the bulb swap yourself, and upgrade to LED while you're at it, it's a huge difference. The less the dealer fiddles with it, the better. This is an easy, cheap, and big improvement mod. :thumbsup:

I had same issue I bought led version from amazon its totally different than the manual claims

But my bulbs still working so I just let it go

It's a T5 bulb. Forget the dealer, go on ebay and order some T5 LEDs for a buck or two shipped, and upgrade the lights yourself and have a much nicer looking light.
Thank you so much. Not going to replace he whole visor for a light bulb. I also noticed the light bulb burnt part of the visor it was closest to.

Thank you so much. Not going to replace he whole visor for a light bulb. I also noticed the light bulb burnt part of the visor it was closest to.
Welcome to the Forum Jennifer. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last seen here on November 3, 2016. If the bulb burned part of the visor it appears as though it must have stayed ON for a long time possibly indicating another issue.

Peter

Hello, I’m not to good navigating this forum so I apologize if I’m not doing this correctly. My 2015 Ford Explorer lights in both my vanity (visor), 2nd and 3rd row dome lights do not work. My reverse camera comes on then goes black and says I need to take it to the dealership. I’ve checked the voltage on the dome lights and it reads 12v for a second and then it won’t read any voltage at all. I’ve checked the fuses and they are good.So I’m thinking it’s the wiring? Could it be something else. Am I totally off. My front dome(map) lights work only. Thank you

Hello, I’m not to good navigating this forum so I apologize if I’m not doing this correctly. My 2015 Ford Explorer lights in both my vanity (visor), 2nd and 3rd row dome lights do not work. My reverse camera comes on then goes black and says I need to take it to the dealership. I’ve checked the voltage on the dome lights and it reads 12v for a second and then it won’t read any voltage at all. I’ve checked the fuses and they are good.So I’m thinking it’s the wiring? Could it be something else. Am I totally off. My front dome(map) lights work only. Thank you
Hi Jennifer. I just read another post with much the same issue except for the camera.
If it was a wiring issue I doubt you would not get any readings at all. The interior lights have two functions. One is to come ON when the doors are opened (Courtesy Lamps) and the other is to come ON when you use their individual switches (Demand Lamps). Do they not work in both cases? You had an issue before with a burned out visor bulb which you said you wouldn't replace. Do you have the garage door opener feature on your visor and if you do, are those lights working?
As for the camera, I would think that it needs to be replaced. That message to see the dealer is usually a sign of that. Once it is replaced, it will have to be programmed to your Explorer.
Original 2011-2015 Ford Camera Assembly EB5Z-19G490-A | Levittown Ford Parts (this is a Forum vendor & offers discounts to members)
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/sensorsdevices/camera-assy-7874147-1?pdp=y (this is what your dealer will probably charge)

Peter

Hi Jennifer. I just read another post with much the same issue except for the camera.
If it was a wiring issue I doubt you would not get any readings at all. The interior lights have two functions. One is to come ON when the doors are opened (Courtesy Lamps) and the other is to come ON when you use their individual switches (Demand Lamps). Do they not work in both cases? You had an issue before with a burned out visor bulb which you said you wouldn't replace. Do you have the garage door opener feature on your visor and if you do, are those lights working?
As for the camera, I would think that it needs to be replaced. That message to see the dealer is usually a sign of that. Once it is replaced, it will have to be programmed to your Explorer.
Original 2011-2015 Ford Camera Assembly EB5Z-19G490-A | Levittown Ford Parts (this is a Forum vendor & offers discounts to members)
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/sensorsdevices/camera-assy-7874147-1?pdp=y (this is what your dealer will probably charg
They do not work either way. Sometimes I can get a reading on the voltage and then a few seconds later nothing. With the visor….I finally took the visor down and opened it and the wires were wrapped around the pole and snapped, I connected the wires and put a new bulb in and it still didn’t work. You don’t think it’s the wiring?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back