Voltage Stabilizers - PSA | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Voltage Stabilizers - PSA

natenkiki2004

Blue Bomb!
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Explorers
I saw one of these gizmos talked about on here a while back and thought I would do a bit of a PSA about them since I saw one "torn down" in a video by Dave at EEVblog. These are all the same, even if you don't get one as large and ugly as the one in the video.

The time link isn't working in the embedded video so skip to 31 minutes, 20 seconds.

Bottom line; they don't work. Capacitors can stabilize voltage but only as long as they hold a charge. You would need a large bank of capacitors with a proper controller and regulators to compensate for the voltage drop in a system. But get this; you already have one. Your battery and alternator do the same thing and engineers compensate for starting and high-draw situations. Your PCM will work on a range of voltage anywhere from 8 to 15 volts (maybe further?) because it's designed that way. They sell these same things for your home and they don't work there either. There are devices called AVRs that will regulate voltage but not a whole 15amp breaker's worth, usually around 400-500 watts. In electricity, there will ALWAYS be voltage drop even in a healthy system with large gauge wires. It's a fact that you can't get around.

Don't buy into these things and their ridiculous claims. Cleaning your battery posts will do more for your electrical system than ANY of these cheap crap gizmos.

Back