Want to order a 2017 platinum | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want to order a 2017 platinum

...the buyer always has the leverage because the buyer is the one spending the money. Don't forget that.

"...he who holds the gold makes the rules." Truer words were never spoken. Also remember that YOU have the option of buying any make/model/body style etc.. YOU want. The dealer can only sell you what HE has (or can order.) He doesn't have the option of going down the street, you do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tuscany --

I disagree with several of your points. A $1,000 is not much to offer on a $50,000 vehicle and you will always find a rebate on a vehicle. It's all marketing to make the customer feel like they are getting something special. It is no different then any other model out there.. the Fseries trucks are setting record numbers with Ford setting record profits yet they are discounting them $3,500. With record sales, why discount?? Because they still have to get foot traffic to the dealers.

Second, you have more leverage with a vehicle on the lot, not ordering. Dealers are enticed to sell vehicles on the lot at a lower price because they start paying interest on the vehicles after a grace period given by Ford (I believe it is 90 days) No dealer wants to pay interest on the loan of the vehicle sitting on the lot and they will cut into their profits to move it before then. There is not enticement on the dealer's end to bargain on an order.. The vehicle is not sold till it is delivered and there is no guarantee you will buy it even with your deposit. There is nothing in front of them to SELL where a vehicle on the lot can be sold right then and there and driven away same day.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to not bargain and I will never recommend anyone paying more then invoice as I've stated before. Brings me to a GT350 at my local Ford dealer that is selling it with a $25,000 adjusted market price added to it. Ya ok..

I also agree on the 6-8 weeks is the norm.. I've fortunate to be able to get my vehicles ordered, built and delivered in about 3 weeks :)

So, Ford is simply gifting an extra grand just to be nice?
Seriously?

Again, with due respect..
There are multiple vehicles for sale without a rebate because they need no incentive to sell. Rebates are used to move stock, and the amount of rebate depends on existing stock in a particular sales region. The spring rebate here in Buffalo has been $950.00. The cars drop ship destination is Naples, Florida. And the rebate there is $1,450.00 for the same car. If the vehicle is on short supply as you say, Ford wouldn't have to give away an extra cent to move it. That is the first clue that supply is not an issue.

It's a simple disagreement. But don't tell others something that isn't true. I don't see many businesses saying "no" to a 50k order if that is what the customer wants.

Dealers are eager to sell orders because as stated before, it involves a total of 20 minutes of paperwork, easy profit made, and another happy customer is driving a sold vehicle from "X" dealership.
Hey, maybe it's just me.. I've ordered a lot of cars and trucks in my life time without anything more than a handshake, a deposit, a nice deal and a happy dealer.

Also, you may be surprised, but most larger successful dealers don't need to rely on floor planning their stock from of a lack of liquid assets. Those days are long gone. The big fish have swallowed the little struggling fish, and the big fish have the assets to buy the stock once the allotted free time has run out.
They achieved that position by making large sums of money off of the frightened consumer.

If one of the "many" points that you are in disagreement with is lost leverage, then I expect that I can't help you understand my point.
Someone else may save thousands by understanding that the buying customer carries 100% of the leverage as long as they aren't cheap talked out of it by a sales staff trained on baiting customers, then disarming their confidence with a test drive and that new car smell, while creating a sense of urgency and shortage.

So, Ford is simply gifting an extra grand just to be nice?
Seriously?

Again, with due respect..
There are multiple vehicles for sale without a rebate because they need no incentive to sell. Rebates are used to move stock, and the amount of rebate depends on existing stock in a particular sales region. The spring rebate here in Buffalo has been $950.00. The cars drop ship destination is Naples, Florida. And the rebate there is $1,450.00 for the same car. If the vehicle is on short supply as you say, Ford wouldn't have to give away an extra cent to move it. That is the first clue that supply is not an issue.

It's a simple disagreement. But don't tell others something that isn't true. I don't see many businesses saying "no" to a 50k order if that is what the customer wants.

Dealers are eager to sell orders because as stated before, it involves a total of 20 minutes of paperwork, easy profit made, and another happy customer is driving a sold vehicle from "X" dealership.
Hey, maybe it's just me.. I've ordered a lot of cars and trucks in my life time without anything more than a handshake, a deposit, a nice deal and a happy dealer.

Also, you may be surprised, but most larger successful dealers don't need to rely on floor planning their stock from of a lack of liquid assets. Those days are long gone. The big fish have swallowed the little struggling fish, and the big fish have the assets to buy the stock once the allotted free time has run out.
They achieved that position by making large sums of money off of the frightened consumer.

If one of the "many" points that you are in disagreement with is lost leverage, then I expect that I can't help you understand my point.
Someone else may save thousands by understanding that the buying customer carries 100% of the leverage as long as they aren't cheap talked out of it by a sales staff trained on baiting customers, then disarming their confidence with a test drive and that new car smell, while creating a sense of urgency and shortage.

Your"model" only holds true to volume dealers, as the same tactic cannot be had for such brands as MB; in which you would be lucky to even buy at invoice + 3%-4% (at least here in Canada).

I bought my 2016 Sport in cash and it didn't even phase any of the local dealerships to dish out additional discounts, in which they were actually pushing me to finance for the kickbacks.
I had to drive 1.5hrs outside of the city, in which the one only Ford dealership was only able to match Costco's $1000 discount (plus threw in clearshield front wrap) and the bulk of my savings was from the employee pricing.

As with all dealership experience...YMMV!

Your right, Im guessing the main difference here is big volume dealerships in the USA have so much more allocation than dealerships in Canada so they can do below invoice sales all the time.

I would think it has nothing to do with allocation. The larger the dealer, the more allocation, and I don't see the Explorer as something being short on allocation to any dealership.
Competition is key. A highly competitive area, dense with dealerships would be ideal.

In the states, particularly in my area, dealerships are grouped together creating competition to move product.
Even at invoice, there is at least 3% profit for the dealer.
Plus... financing kick backs, warranty and or service packages, interior and exterior protection packages etc. All added profit for the dealership if one decides to spend money on stuff like that. So selling a vehicle cheap is still a moneymaker if a customer loads up on dealership add ons.

I need to get an estimate on the 2017 Explorer Limited I'm looking for. Where can I load in my specs and get an invoice price. I've got a XPlan number but I'd like to go in knowing my options (or which ones like collision avoidance) not worth it. The Ford site is still stuck on 2016. Thanks.

I need to get an estimate on the 2017 Explorer Limited I'm looking for. Where can I load in my specs and get an invoice price. I've got a XPlan number but I'd like to go in knowing my options (or which ones like collision avoidance) not worth it. The Ford site is still stuck on 2016. Thanks.

A CHP officer just rear ended a car on Interstate 5 in northern California. With collision avoidance a 17 year old might not have been killed. Same goes for active cruise control. The officer had apparently looked down at his computer for a second. These safety features are a no brainer. If it was an option I would not buy a car without them.

Welcome to the Forum Rayme2 and martinsm. :wave::wave:
I don't know of any other place right now to do a "Build & Price" on a 2017 Explorer other than at the dealership. It seems strange that the Ford.com site has still not updated this feature. I did send them a comment about that a few days ago. Also keep in mind that some of those options are part of a package and not 'stand alone' options.
The Explorer does have a 'Forward Collision Avoidance with Brake Support' feature but it is not designed to bring the car to a stop like some of the latest models produced by other manufacturers. http://corporate.ford.com/microsites/sustainability-report-2013-14/vehicle-avoidance.html

Peter

I don't know of any other place right now to do a "Build & Price" on a 2017 Explorer other than at the dealership. It seems strange that the Ford.com site has still not updated this feature. I did send them a comment about that a few days ago. Also keep in mind that some of those options are part of a package and not 'stand alone' options.
The Explorer does have a 'Forward Collision Avoidance with Brake Support' feature but it is not designed to bring the car to a stop like some of the latest models produced by other manufacturers. http://corporate.ford.com/microsites/sustainability-report-2013-14/vehicle-avoidance.html

Peter
Thanks. I have the collision warning on my 2013 and the "lights and bells" going off have been "beneficial" at times. I know it will lower accidents and save lives, just like the advanced cruise control. It only takes a few seconds away from the road for an accident to happen.

Peter

Looks like the build and price is now available for the 2017's on the Ford site.

OKTB this Thursday

No SYNC Connect for us.

OKTB this Thursday

No SYNC Connect for us.
So when should those of us who ordered 2017's expect to get an update on build dates? And how can they offer SYNC Connect on the Escape and not the higher priced Explorer??

Looks like the build and price is now available for the 2017's on the Ford site.
I visited the site yesterday and a pop up came up wanting to know if I'd be interested in leaving comments about my visit to the site. I said yes and complained about the site not being up to date as I was interested in Building and Pricing a 2017 Platinum but could not because they only had the 2016 which couldn't be ordered any longer. So today it's fixed. Pure coincidence I'm sure.;)
Had to enter my sister's zip code to be able to submit it.

Peter

That's the ford.com site. The ford.ca site should have it in 4-6 weeks if they follow the usual time frame.:(

Peter

So when should those of us who ordered 2017's expect to get an update on build dates? And how can they offer SYNC Connect on the Escape and not the higher priced Explorer??
Thats something only your dealer can answer, too many variables......dealer allocation, priority, among other things.

Back