want to swap out my 09 exploer 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

want to swap out my 09 exploer 4.0

kevinhawkins538

Reaction score
City, State
COLORADO SPRINGS
Year, Model & Trim Level
09 ford explorer
Timing chain on 09 explorer jump is there another engine i can swap it out with and if so what all i need please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Timing chain on 09 explorer jump is there another engine i can swap it out with and if so what all i need please

In short, another good engine from an '09.

The long way; a complete running V8 2009 to swap engine, trans, wiring, fuel, and PCM from, not to mention the mounts, and possibly transfer case and driveshafts.

I was going to V8 swap a '97 4.0, in the meantime I snagged a '98 5.0 and drove it for a year and half or so, then I got the '06. Haven't looked back, honestly.

In short, another good engine from an '09.

The long way; a complete running V8 2009 to swap engine, trans, wiring, fuel, and PCM from, not to mention the mounts, and possibly transfer case and driveshafts.

I was going to V8 swap a '97 4.0, in the meantime I snagged a '98 5.0 and drove it for a year and half or so, then I got the '06. Haven't looked back, honestly.

It's probably cheaper to find a good condition V8 Explorer than it would be to swap a V8 into yours, if you factor in the labor. Cheaper and easier to find a good 4.0, change the timing chains, and swap it. Keep in mind that the Mustang used the same 4.0. They are cheaper to buy, and you only have to swap the intake and exhaust manifolds.

It's probably cheaper to find a good condition V8 Explorer than it would be to swap a V8 into yours, if you factor in the labor. Cheaper and easier to find a good 4.0, change the timing chains, and swap it. Keep in mind that the Mustang used the same 4.0. They are cheaper to buy, and you only have to swap the intake and exhaust manifolds.
what year the 4.0 mustang needs to be and do the vin need to be a E. I know where a 09 is right now Also with the 4.0 on my explorer its a 4/4 so is that going to be a problem with the extra timing for the 4x4

what year the 4.0 mustang needs to be and do the vin need to be a E. I know where a 09 is right now Also with the 4.0 on my explorer its a 4/4 so is that going to be a problem with the extra timing for the 4x4
Any 05-09 4.0 should be fine. No worries about 4X4.

So do I get the wiring harness and ECM and anything else and does any 4.0 connect to my transmission
If you are just replacing your 4.0, you won't need any wiring or pcm. You just have to use your old intake and exhaust manifolds if you use a Mustang engine. The block and heads are the same.

If you are just replacing your 4.0, you won't need any wiring or pcm. You just have to use your old intake and exhaust manifolds if you use a Mustang engine. The block and heads are the same.
I just went to the junk yard and noticed that the 04 and 06 ford explorer have the same engine what is it not compatible to the 09

I just went to the junk yard and noticed that the 04 and 06 ford explorer have the same engine what is it not compatible to the 09
2006 is compatible.

Back