Warranty Extended on 97-00 Explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warranty Extended on 97-00 Explorers

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
Published: 01 December 2000
Robert Lane
Date of Revision: None

Ford Motor Company has decided to extend the warranty on 1997-2000 Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer models produced at their St. Louis assembly plant that are equipped with the 4.0L SOHC engine. The free extended warranty also applies to 2001 Explorer Sport and Sport Trac models with the 4.0L SOHC engine as well.

The extended warranty will only cover the engines camshaft, timing chain tensioner and lower intake manifold gasket for six (6) years of 72,000 miles. If the vehicle already has 72,000 miles than the warranty will be extended to 01 April 2001.

Ford will also authorize dealers to replace all three parts should a vehicle come into the service department for any one of the problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stephen

Thanks for letting us know. I hope they'll notify everybody officially just like with a recall.

My '97 (leased) started the diesel rattle (cam tensioners) at start up right at the end of the lease (at about 29K miles). When I turned it in, they noticed it but didn't give me any hassle. It was kind of like they expected it.

When I bought my '99 Sport a month later, the salesman assured me that the engines are now ok. Even though I haven't heard anything on this board of a '99 still having the problem, I'm very skeptical. An extended warranty certainly makes me feel safer and better.

Thanks again

Peter, I didn't get the feeling that they'd be notifying anyone until they had their trucks in for that work. I'm going to call my Ford guy and confirm this as soon as I can.

Rod, I have a sticker on my rear window that says what plant mine was built at. It should also be inculded in the VIN so any dealership could tell you.

Well that's just great, I wished I had known about this when I took mine in to be fixed. It was all out of pocket. Do you think they would remburse you if you already paid for this? Probably not huh?

ntrpriz has a website that tells you all about the VINs, where your truck was made is hidden somewhere in the depths of that number, his site has it all listed

Too much is never enough?

I found this post on an extended warranty and I wonder if anyone can shed any light or direct me where to get details. I think it applies to me.

My worst might mare came true:
My 97 X is at the dealer with blown engine
Looks like a clear cut camshaft problems
50k tensioner recall repair
ran crappy
54K cam guide recall repair
ran crappy
58K blew up - rear timing time chain spun 180, no compression left of right bank, bent valves, they thinks it was the cam, who knows? what else...

The dealer seems to be working in good faith. The Rep is going to be in next week.

BUT I'm getting very confused with all these SOHC warranties. I get the feelling I have some recourse under at least three so far.
-the recall work on the tensionerr
-the recall work on guides
And now I find this one.
Does anyone know anything about this one?

I would like to be prepared before I agree to anything but I'm not sure who is required truth or will tell me the straight story. I quess the Ford Hotline? Can you trust the zone rep?

Yeah, I heard that..."The Pope"

I got another one I'm still tracking down the details on "Customer Assistance program P07"
It could be worst I could have nothing.

Anybody know anything to help me better sort this out?

How simple am I?
It's snowing in NJ tonight
"I thinking I should be crashing around in my "X" tonite"

You can't make this stuff up!

God Bless America

whats the potential problem with the camshafts? im assuming that if the tensioners go (i already had my tensioners taken care of), then the cams will get damaged?...or is it something unrelated to the tensioner? can someone who knows something about this please fill me in because im an idiot :p

thanks.

Well the passenger side cam shaft is driven by a jackshaft then to the cam. The rear chain on that at cam jumped 180 degrees ( i'm not sure if it was exctly 180 degrees I haven't seen it yet. I suspect it was a just a big jump) and the spocket on the CAM is pressed fitting. I was told this this a common failure. Think of it as the weak point
Ergo: good agruement for right cam componet failure.

In any case the flat rate repair tables do not afford the luxury to examine and search for any but the most obvious collaterial damage caused by both problems or sunsequent work they did. They can say " they didn't touch that" but coleraterial damage is always a problems that is why they have these warranties and processses. There could have been rear damage and their work would have never seen it becuase they would have never taken that much of the engine apart to repair it .. It they did see any damage they would (should) have certainly fixed it. It does cost Ford money At some point to defend their postion.

Now if the left side also no compression and they claim the the timing chain on that side is OK. I am quite sure It was not OK . The possibilities become limitied again. As to a specific cause? Highly subjective again.
But the CAM is up there once again .

The above is my take

Given the low mileage, etc that is where I think the process gets confusing or maybe I'm just totally confused

I think I need a face to face with the zone rep

I just bought a 2000 with the SOHC with 37k on it. How can you tell if the engine has any of the recall problems that Ford extended the warranty for? Thanks in advance.

why is it just the St. louis plant ?

my '99 sport was built in the louisville plant,but I heard the loud sound as well last week,then phoned ford,and had them document it,they never told me it was only for the st. louis plant ?

I hadn't even made the apt. yet when a few days later,my intake manifold gaskets went,they want $550. to fix it,my truck only has 46k on it.

this bites....

I went through the process on my 97 SOHC when my "St Louis" engine blew. See above

Question: What was the loud noise: the chain "clanging" around in there?

Here's what I think I know:
"P07" is Ford's customer service program for out of warranty repairs. This involves calling in a service rep etc. I have some babbling posts out there on the process. You do get big points on the program if you show up on their "Oasis system"

i.e. if they see you spend big dollars and bring your vehicle into the dealer for all maintenance and service
work. BUT with 46K and only a $550 repair bill, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Why St Louis? Who knows?
I'm sure the workers were on the ball. Need I state the obvious? These things always seem to revolve around a fancy cost analysis masquerading a management CYA move.

Why do I think it some MBA management type with a sharp pencil came up with the decision:
"fix St Louie?... it costs too much....... just keep making them... put out a warranty and tell them they aren't covered....we'll get them in to the dealerships and make more money....its a Win Win!!!!"
It did go on for a long time - 97-00 before they woke up.
Makes you think they even care.
Go figure
Its the way the world works ...but I'm sure we all know that.
:D

Can anyone give me more details on this extended warranty? My 2001 Sport trac is suffering the classic symptoms of this chain noise. i have 67k on the truck and my local dealer says no such extended warranty applies

if I remember correctly,it was the 00m12 program ?

jspbtown said:
Can anyone give me more details on this extended warranty? My 2001 Sport trac is suffering the classic symptoms of this chain noise. i have 67k on the truck and my local dealer says no such extended warranty applies

I know what you guys mean. I have a 00' XLT SOHC and had the camshaft tensioner and all the jazz replaced in Dec 03' and it is starting to make that noise again, by the way i paid for the repair and still no response from Ford for reimbursment.

Back