Washer Fluid Always Sprays When Wipers are on - 2000 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Washer Fluid Always Sprays When Wipers are on - 2000 Explorer

Richard Grabowski

Reaction score
City, State
Lewisville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford Explorer XLT
I am recovering from a catastrophic electrical failure. I began to experience intermittent problems with my vehicle's electrical functions/features. Things like lights flickering, things coming on and off at odd times (like warning chime sounding all the time (even with key not in the ignition until the car was started). One day I discovered my battery was dead and installed a new battery. The next day the new battery was dead and I got a jump from my apartment maintenance man using his golf cart.

Bad thing to do...Many fuses were blown and the varistors were blown on all of the many electrical boards.

So I set out to resolve the problems one by one.

Things I did to recover to this point.

a.) replaced the GEM module with another one. It was a used one and corrected some problems but not all
b.) replaced all blown fuses
c.) tested all relays for proper functionality (all were good)
d.) replaced the fuel level board that inserts into the back of the illumination console
e.) replaced varistors on blown boards

I seem to have recovered most of my features and functions less three.

1.) The first and most troubling is my windshield washer fluid sprays fluid when the windshield wipers are turned on. When I turn the multi-function switch to the off position the fluid stops spraying and the wipers DO NOT park as expected.

Here is what have done to date trying to get the wipers to work.

a) Replaced the multifunction switch with a new one but the behavior is the same
b) Replaced all blown fuses
c.) Tested the wiper relays for functionality (both of them checked out)

I am including the next two items so you know the extent of what is still not working and will address fixing them after the wiper fluid issue is fixed.

2.) The Climate control blower fan is not working. This may just be a bad blower and I will troubleshoot it later.

3.) The status display center console shows a fault indicating a bad bulb, however, all the bulbs are working.

I appreciate any help you can offer on this. This is my only transportation

Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have multiple separate problems
Imo
To start
The gem DOES NOT control the wiper washer motor
Just the blades

I'd look for a bad ground or wiring in general
For the wipers

EDIT
it does;)

You have multiple separate problems
Imo
To start
The gem DOES NOT control the wiper washer motor
Just the blades

I'd look for a bad ground or wiring in general
For the wipers

I appreciate the info about the GEM not controlling the washer fluid pump. As I was trying to chase the washer fluid pump issue I came across a wire that was broken that went to the climate control blower. So score 1 and cross it off the list. I've chased enough for today.

A point worth noting. When the wipers are turned on (as mentioned earlier the washer fluid pump turns on), however, The wipers do not go to the park position when the switch is turned off. However if the wipers are running and I pull the connector off the multifunction switch, they DO go to park. Does this spur any ideas?

Thanks

I'd be looking at that multi function switch
The button on the end to clean the windows is the only place they come together

I agree with Donalds about the GEM not controlling the wipers but... You said you changed out the GEM. Was it from a vehicle with the same features as your current vehicle? Meaning was it from the same year, same number of doors, same code number? If not that could be some of your electrical problems.

rasouth - yes the GEM was from the very same model, year, type...I had many other issues before I changed the GEM. now I am down to 2 items. The wipers/washer-fluid and the center console showing a fault indicating a bad bulb, however, all the bulbs are working

donalds - the multifunction switch is a new part. It functions just like the old switch. To verify this I've swapped it out for the old switch and, they are function the same.

Thanks

here is the wire diagram
Looks like the gem does control the washer pump

I'd look for a bent pin

wiper.PNG

@donalds ~ I appreciate the schematic. I was just sitting down to track one down! This gives me some targets to meter out...I'll let you know what I find. Thanks

Back